Use of stevia as sweetener

westwoodbob
on 11/20/11 10:52 pm - Olympia, WA
Has anybody had experience in using stevia. It has 0 calories

syarbroG-5
on 11/20/11 11:16 pm
I use Stevia drops sometimes. I got them from a Natural Food Store. The thing about Stevia is to add to satisfy your own taste. I had tried it before and thought it was too strong. But the guy at  the store explained start low and add as YOU need. I got the drops for convenience. Because I would never use a whole packet and didnt want to have to throw a half a pack away!  But!  most of the time I use Splenda.  I hope this helps.              sharon

IN IT TO WIN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LaShonda H.
on 11/21/11 12:54 am - WI
 I was going to ask if Splenda was safe...you answered my question.  Thanks!
Follow me thru all of the good and bad days at my blog, Phat to Fabulous!        
jazzycatz
on 11/20/11 11:37 pm - Joppa, MD

I use stevia.  I started with using the actual plant and drying the leaves.  Now I just buy it.  Truvia is the brand I prefer.  The taste can vary from brand to brand.  One I can't stand is Stevia in the Raw.  I think it's awful.  Not sure why.  And they have a brand here at work that I don't care for either.  Just tossing that factoid out there in case you don't like the one you try first. 

The previous poster is correct.  Add far less than you think you need and work up from there.  It can have a hint of a licorice aftertaste if you use quite a bit.  

HTH

Dave Chambers
on 11/20/11 11:39 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Yes. It comes in a dropper bottle, packets, or a larger jar. I've used the packets to add to coffee, add to cereal, add to oatmeal, etc. It's sweeter than sugar, so try just a little first to find the right amount for your tastebuds. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/21/11 12:08 am
I love it and use it all the time...
But mine liquid from Luckyvitamins.com Once you find the brand you like (some have aftertaste many people don't like)  try to find in on line...
I bake with mine, use in shakes, coffee, etc...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Eliza55
on 11/21/11 1:33 am - PA
I use a little bit of Truvia in my protein in the morning.  I tried cooking with Stevia in the Raw, and it was terrible.  I also found that it didn't work out as well as the Truvia. - I'm not sure why.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Jane N.
on 11/21/11 1:59 am - Round Rock, TX
I like Truvia (stevia brand name) on a regular basis.  I buy the tub/jar and sprinkle in as desired.  Can't stand the taste of Splenda.  I like that it's granulated like regular sugar too.

Most Active
Recent Topics