Cheated on pre-op optifast diet..

xtine
on 11/21/11 2:01 pm, edited 11/21/11 2:06 am - San Jose, CA
So I have cheated a little on my 2 week pre-op diet.. with very low fat, low cal low, carb things.. a few times. I ate things like lunch meat and a string cheese.. I did not go and blow it by eating a huge meal or anything or anything horrible for me.. am I going to be ok or should I be concerned about still having my surgery? It is scheduled for 11/29 (omg nerves!! only a week to go!)

I have been trying so hard to follow the 5 optifast shake a day thing but end up so hungry. I am in Disneyland right now and totally could have blown it on churros and stuff but haven't thank god..

I have a feeling I am going to eat a little something most days if I feel so hungry. Any advise? I feel like a total loser.. am I already setting myself up for failure?!

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

poet_kelly
on 11/21/11 2:33 pm - OH

What will happen if we decide not to cheat on the pre op diet?

1.  We'll miss out on eating some foods we like for a short time.

2.  We might crave something and might feel anxious or disappointed if we don't eat it.

3.  We might even feel hungry sometimes.

4.  We might have to deal with our feelings instead of stuffing them back inside with food.

5.  We'll detox from stuff like carbs and sugar.

6.  We'll probably lose a good bit of weight.

7.  We'll start looking at food as fuel for our bodies rather than something we eat for
entertainment or other reasons.

8.  Our liver will probably shrink, which decreases the risk of needing open surgery.

9.  We'll reduce our risk of other complications, too.

10.  We'll learn that we can comply with a meal plan, even if it's hard.

11.  We'll be very proud of ourselves for doing it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cankles2Ankles :D
on 11/21/11 6:16 pm - Seattle, WA
RNY on 01/25/12
 I am bookmarking this for when I start my Pre-Op diet! Very inspirational. 
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 11/21/11 6:54 pm
You should try and stick to the diet given to you by your surgeon.  Eating high protein items like string cheese will not hurt you.  Have you ever looked at the nutritional label of Optifast.  There is lots of sugar in it.  It is balanced nutritionally. 

Do the best you can but if you are going to eat off plan make it high protein, low fat,  low simple carbs (flour, sugar, bread, rice, pasta).

The purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink the fatty liver.  Eating high protein won't counteract that.

You are not a failure It is easier to follow the bariatric diet after surgery.  Otherwise we would all have he same sucess rate after surgery as before surgery. 

Winnie

Pupcake !.
on 11/21/11 9:18 pm - Stranded in, IA
I really like Kelly's list.

I have strong opinions on "cheating" mainly because the guilt involved can lead us to "cheat" even more.  But people love to minimize cheating.   "Cheating" is a little white lie, it's not really "wrong"  you are just feeling "weak", "I won't do it after surgery", I only cheated with "good" things.

To be successful with the RNY you must change your entire lifestyle, if you are driven to "cheat" the 2 week diet what are you going to do for the rest of your life?

Are you going to "cheat" with your vitamins?
"cheat" your protein intake?
"cheat" your water intake?

There is going to be days where following the rules might be hard- if you "cheated" in the first week of your pre-op diet how are you going to get through the rest of your life?

Perhaps you need to think about the enormity of this surgery.  After you lose the weight you don't just get to go back to "eating normally" (like in the past)  If you do then you will be gaining the weight back.

I know I sound *****y, after 8 years I have watched many posters "cheat" their diets and end up on the revision board because their "tool failed"

Try to separate the  shakes so you are eating about ever 2-3 hours- that should stave off the physical hunger.  The mental hunger is yours to work.

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 11/22/11 12:31 am
Nope - you're not setting yourself up. Part of the process is you're learning what you should be eating and what you shouldn't. We all cheated somewhere along the line - it's human nature. Do what you need to do to get back on track and get ready for your surgery. You didn't ruin your chances nor are you a loser. Hang in there - this surgery is to help us cause we can't follow a diet or lose permanently before surgery. This will get you where you need to be to maintain.
Good luck - have fun.
Jen 10 yrs post op
xtine
on 11/22/11 5:47 am - San Jose, CA
Thank you for the responses! I just hope I will be ok during surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 11/22/11 6:52 am - Front Royal, VA
RNY on 08/29/11 with

My surgeon put me on optifast before surgery for 10 days and I was allowed to have 2 cups of raw low carb/sugar veggies along with those three shakes a day.  I lost weight, the cucumbers and broccoli killed my cravings to "eat" and I did just fine.  2 days prior to surgery however it was a clear liquid diet until the night before, then nothing to eat after 9pm.  (surgery was in the morning)