Craving the taste of coffee

K_Behr
on 11/29/11 11:48 am

I'm used to having something from McDonalds McCafe menu...any suggestions?

poet_kelly
on 11/29/11 11:53 am - OH
I'm not familiar with their menu, but I've done a skinny decaf vanilla latte from Starbucks.  Just make sure they use the sugar free syrup, at least if you dump on sugar.

I've been making protein lattes at home a lot.  My current favorite is two ounces of soy milk and a scoop of vanilla protein powder stirred to make a paste, then stir that paste slowly into a mug of ho****er (not boiling) and add a spoonful of instant decaf and a spoonful of splenda and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.  Pumpkin Spice Protein Latte!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Judy M.
on 11/29/11 1:28 pm

I will try this latte.  I really miss coffee! I quit the caffeine 2 months prior to surgery but still miss coffee.

K_Behr
on 11/29/11 12:12 pm
Thanks! I may have to make them at home because they don't offer decaf...and Starbucks is too far. Thanks for the recipe!
ohioh
on 11/29/11 12:25 pm
RNY on 11/15/10 with
I drink decaf coffee alot and add alot of milk, sometimes vanilla protein powder a SF syrup (kahlua or hazelnut with the milk) for yummy flavor. Love it!!  I don't buy the click because it is expensive and has caffeine but ALOT of people really like it! 

HW 270  SW 251   1st GW 170    CW 143       2nd GW 150
 1st GOAL REACHED  170  5/23/2011

2nd GOAL REACHED 150 8/8/2011
dori M.
on 11/29/11 12:35 pm - MD
I've been drinking decaf, nonfat lattes from dunkin donuts or skinny lattes from Starbucks. I also have been drinking Nectar Cappucino protein powder (hot with skim milk)
mikjul1
on 11/29/11 6:25 pm - bel air, MD
I have been drinking decaf. with splenda and nondairy creamer for my pre op diet I got off coffee "leaded" 5 months ago.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 11/29/11 9:58 pm
Making your own is a great way to get in protein.  Be sure to use the method Kelly explained.  Mix the protein powder with cold liquid first until it is dissolved.  Then add hot coffee or you will get curdled protein which is impossible to drink.  There is a wide variety of SF syrups out there to choose from so you can have a different flavor every day.

Winnie

(deactivated member)
on 11/29/11 10:02 pm
 I have just been having some decaf, nf creamer and spenda. But I am with you. I MISS MCDONALDS COFFEE!!!!! I would have one everyday. But have been just having one cup of decaf a day and somedays don't even drink all of that. 

LIFE IS A CHANGIN 
Hillery82211
on 11/29/11 11:28 pm, edited 11/29/11 11:30 pm - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I make protein coffee/lattes at home using this basic recipe

6-8 oz milk
6-8 oz cold decaf coffee
1 scoop protein powder
SF syrup to taste

I make a huge pot of decaf coffee 1x a week and pour it into a pitcher in the fridge.  Mix everything up in a shaker bottle, pour into a microwave mug/container and then nuke 3 rounds of 45 sec stirring between each round (in the summer, I blend with ice for a frappacino style drink or over ice for iced coffee).  I like this method better than the paste because its much easier than trying to "temper" the protein powder to keep the lumps away.

For "mocha" style drinks...use chocolate protein powder +SF syrup or choice
For "latte" style drinks...use vanilla or unflavored protein powder and SF syrup or choice

Here are a few of my favorite protein coffee drinks that I make:

Carmel Mocha = chocolate protein powder + SF Caramel syrup
Peppermint Mocha = chocolate protein powder + SF Peppermint syrup
Hazelnut Mocha = chocolate protein powder + SF hazelnut syrup
Hazelnut latte = vanilla protein powder + SF hazelnut syrup
Peppermint Paddy = vanilla protein powder + SF Peppermint syrup
Carmel Latte = vanilla protein powder + SF Caramel syrup
Chai Tea Latte = unflavored protein powder + SF Chai Tea Concentrate
Vanilla Kahlua  Latte = vanilla protein powder  + SF Kahlua Syrup

I also recently made a protein Amaretto Sour drink that was really good and tastes just like a mixed drink w/o the alcohol...perfect for after a dinner w/ friends when everyone else is drinking and you want to "socialize" w/o the alcohol.  This will be my summer go to "after dinner" drink!

1 scoop unflavored protein powder
4oz  of SF margarita mix
8oz water
2-3 pumps of SF amaretto syrup (or to taste)
splash of lime to taste

Mix all up in a shaker bottle (or blender) and pour over ice!

The possibilities are ENDLESS!
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Most Active