Malnutrition 2 /12 Years Out

doc1857
on 12/12/11 7:54 am, edited 12/11/11 8:10 pm - Elk Grove, CA
My Friends,

I have been away from the boards, far to long, I should have been around more, to support others, as many of you supported me in the beginning. For this I am truly sorry, and I will try to be around more offton.

I do need some input, and perhaps some advice: I am 34 months out since my RNY. I have maintained a 200 lbs constant loss with little or no effort. I mean I went through the normal post op trials & tribulations, but for the most part, I learned fast what I could do & couldn't do. About a year ago I was told by my gastrict bypass team, that I was having problems absorbing protien, and that my albion levels were very low. We tried a number of nutricianal remedies but none have worked. I also have very low copper & zinc levels, but we are going to try IV therapy to correct that. 3 weeks ago I started having problems with FAT absorbtion, it pass through me as orange oil slick, very upleasent, and is not to kind to my pants either.

The question I have is, has anyone heard of having absorbtion problems this far out ? I have very little physically strength, and even walking upstairs was easier when I weighed 450 lbs.

Please let me know your thoughts
Doc

doc1857
on 12/12/11 8:11 am - Elk Grove, CA
I know I didn't spell check
Sorry
Doc

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 8:30 am - Toronto, Canada
 I'm still pre-op, so I don't have any realy experience to relate your situation to, but I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that this is happening to you. It sounds just awful.  I hope your doctor finds an answer and you feel well and energized again really soon.  Take care.
Eliza55
on 12/12/11 8:52 am - PA
There are different enzymes (I don't remember the names) that can assist with digestion of protein and fats.  Others on the board may remember the names.  I suggest that you talk to your doctor about them.

Good Luck!!!
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

fatfreemama
on 12/12/11 10:13 am - San Jose, CA
 Hi Doc,

So sorry to hear you are having so much trouble.  Must feel terrible.  I'm two years out now and I also can't get my albumin levels up.  They seem to remain around 3.5.  My total protein seems to be fine, and I eat between 120-150g of protein per day whi*****ludes one whey protein shake (20g).  And while I'm not anemic, my ferriton level keeps dropping and is down to 17, so I'm going to try heme iron now.  So I understand where you are coming from with having problems aborbing.  And I feel great, so I'm not having your problems.  What are you eating and what/how much are you taking in vitamins and supplements?  I know I take a lot to get my levels up where they are.

By the way, you can try sanitary pads for your pants, at least for now until they figure it out.  We women have been using them for years.

Hugs!
Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

poet_kelly
on 12/12/11 10:24 am - OH
Malabsroption of vitamins and minerals is lifelong and many have trouble with that.  Have you been taking all the vitamins recommended by the ASMBS?  A multi with zinc and copper in it, twice a day?  And you've tried adding extra zinc and copper when your labs showed you were low?

How much protein are you eating in a day?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

babyface1
on 12/12/11 10:31 am
Doc,
Which RNY did you have the distal or proximal because the Doctors can re lengthen your intestines so you could absorb more nutrients from your food it will also lessen your bathroom issues.
Are you taking all your vitamins if not then you should start and secondly the enzymes are called pancreatic enzymes you have to take them with each meal and snack for them to work.

Best of luck to you
immafatgirl
on 12/12/11 11:29 am - KY
i am the worlds worst with my vitamins. i guess its time to take them seriously. knowing this can happe this far out just scares the **** out of me .
poet_kelly
on 12/12/11 12:29 pm - OH
The biggest problems with nutritional deficiencies usually happen a ways out.  Early out, you have stores in your body of many nutrients.  For instance, if you don't take enough calcium, your body will suck it out of your teeth and bones.  It will take some time for you to develop significant bone loss and tooth loss.  So you might go a whole year without taking any calcium and think everything is fine.  But it will catch up with you eventually.  I promise, it will.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

doc1857
on 12/12/11 4:33 pm, edited 12/13/11 4:34 am - Elk Grove, CA
Thank you all for your posts, & your support. The funny thing was pre-op, I had Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, & High Cholesterol. all of which I took allot of pills for. My RNY, fixed all those problems. However, I now take more in suplements, then I did in Rx drugs. I take All he B's, The maxium amount of Copper & Zinc allowed a day , 2 large Centrum Multi Vitamins a day. I drink 2 cans of World Wide Protien a day. I rattle when I walk. We start the IV infusion today, we will see what that will do to the levels. Last resort is a reversal, but there is no guantee, that everything will revert, and I can absorb, what I need from the old stomach.

Thanks Again
Doc

Most Active
Recent Topics