Just got approval, and set a date!

thepromises
on 12/13/11 11:14 pm
RNY on 01/03/12 with
Ok everyone... I've been watching the boards for a while now, and this is my first post. I would just like to say hi to everyone, and thank you for all your other questions, rants, greatful posts, etc. All of it has been helpful to me, and I do appreciate it all! 

I just wanted to say, that I just got my insurance approval for surgery, and a surgery date of January 3, 2012. Wow that's soon!!! 

Lots of appointments between then and now, and also Christmas! Yikes!!! I know this is a huge life change, and I've already started a bunch of my own changes beyonds what the doctor and dietician has said for me to do. I have joined a gym, (I even go 3+ times a week!) i have a trainer I see once a week. I have been on a reduced calorie diet for about 2 months now, and have lost about 20 pounds in this time. Now I'm starting a high protein, very low carb diet for the 2 weeks before the surgery. (i know, each doctor has a different regimen.)

Now I'm down to the final wire. I'm a little nervous, but not that much actually. I'm very excited about my upcoming transformation. I'm excited for the total life change. At my heaviest, i was at 381. Now i'm at 361, so it's good so far.

Mostly this post is just to introduce myself to the boards. I know I'll want some more comfort and friends from here. You all have done this before, or are going through it like me. That makes it very nice and comforting.

I do have a question though... If i were to bring in my laptop and/or tablet, would I be able to charge my stuff? And is there anything else you would reccomend I bring to the hospital for some creature comforts, or anything to make it better? Maybe a different set of pants/shorts for walking the halls? I'm not really sure. I know i don't want to walk around in a johnny, with my back open to the world.

Well anyway... Hi everyone. I am thepromises, and let's get this going. :)  
wvugal89
on 12/13/11 11:35 pm - MD
Congrats on getting a date, things do move quickly once that happens! If you have a question post it here! Someone can answer it, also use the search function to see if you can find the question all ready asked. The board has been a lifesaver for me as I have had so many questions and wanted to truly understand all aspects of the changes I am facing. My surgery is next Tuesday, I will be happy to let you know how it goes, what I brought to the hospital and what I used at the hospital! I know I am bringing my iphone because its an all in one machine for me! Also, when you meet with anesthesia, be honest, if you get nervous tell them, if you have anxiety tell them they will work with you as I found out last week. I wrote it all down also and will have the paper with me just in case. Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any other questions and use these boards!

Truly,

Teri-Lynn
Amanda S.
on 12/13/11 11:36 pm, edited 12/13/11 11:39 pm - VA
RNY on 02/13/12
First of all, congratulations on your approval and date!!! I'm jealous- I got approval on Dec. 2 and my surgery isn't scheduled until Feb. 13. But I'm getting to have it eventually, so I'm still happy. :)

As far as bringing a laptop or tablet, I can only say what goes on at the hospital I'll be at. All of the weight loss surgery patients stay in the heart ward after surgery, so the nurses get really irritated if they see anything remotely electronic. But I'm not sure if that's an in general thing or if it's just because it's the heart ward and there's a bunch of sensitive machinery around. There were also never any extra outlets for charging. I suggest taking a good book as a back up, just in case.

Definitely take a pair of pants or shorts. I would suggest pajama bottoms, nice and loose. I know when I had my Lap-Band surgery I was very appreciative of those pants because hospitals are COLD. Also, you should take comfortable slippers with very good tread. Odds are you won't be able to put actual shoes on right after surgery (I couldn't bend at all for the first few days). And hospital floors are even colder than the hospital air.

And as a side note, try to get a really good night's sleep the night before surgery. I know they want you up and walking a lot, which is fine, but when you've done that for hours and just want to sleep a bit, people will keep coming in and jabbing you with needles or taking your blood pressure or just bugging you in general. I only had to stay in the hospital one night with the Lap-Band, but I didn't get a minute of sleep because of the constant poking and prodding. I can just imagine what two nights with the RNY is going to be like...

Anyway, good luck with everything!

Pre-Surgery Weight: 253 lbs.
Current Weight: 135-140 lbs.

wendydettmer
on 12/13/11 11:55 pm - Rochester, NY
Congratulations and welcome to the board! I haven't had my surgery yet, I'm scheduled for 12/22. I do plan on bringing my ipad with me. I haven't had surgery myself, but my son has here and at least on his floor they had several extra outlets. We were there for a week each time he was admitted and those were nice to have when he was sleeping.

I'm also going to bring a nice comfy pair of pants and my fuzzy socks, hopefully they'll let me wear the pants!

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

jemof2
on 12/14/11 12:32 am - Shreveport, LA
Where I was, you could bring anything you wanted after surgery.  And yes, there were plenty of plugs.  Comfortable clothes are a definite plus!

The best feeling was the first shower after surgery.  Makes you feel like a new person.  So I would say - bring your favorite shampoo and bodywash/soap.  Don't rely on those "hotel" sizes.  And don't forget your toothbrush :)

Good luck!!  Welcome to the rest of your life!
"There are two ways to live life:  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as though everything is a miracle."  Albert Einstein

jemof2
on 12/14/11 12:35 am - Shreveport, LA
My mom also brought what I call "Smut" LOL gossip mags like "People" and "US Weekly".  Honestly, you probably won't feel like staying on a computer or tablet.  If you are planning to update facebook, I would have whoever will be there with you do that for you.  The anesthesia does a number on you for a while after surgery.  I didn't really feel like doing much of anything until the day I was to be released.
"There are two ways to live life:  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as though everything is a miracle."  Albert Einstein

Kim2011
on 12/14/11 1:16 am - NC
Congrats!! I brought my laptop and its charger and my cell phone and charger. I had the laptop plugged in on the side where the nurses and doctor werent using. Then she had to go over to that side for something and I had the hospital table with my laptop, phone, and all my stuff everywhere. I started moving it for her and she said oh no its fine and went around it! She was so sweet!

At my last preop appt. they told me to bring a rob to walk around in but if I didn't have one that they would give me an extra hosiptal gone to use as a gown. I did bring an extra pair of sweat pants to wear though when I was walking around too though.

Good luck! Have a fast recovery! :-)

Kim2011
on 12/14/11 1:18 am - NC
Oh and I wish I would have brought ear plugs! It was loud at night!

thepromises
on 12/14/11 10:42 pm
RNY on 01/03/12 with
 Thank you to everyone *****plied! :) 

It's exciting, and a little nerve wracking. I'm so looking forward to my new chapter in life, and i'm glad I have such a great resource as everyone here. 

THANKS!