poll - revision from band to RNY

nkara
on 12/16/11 8:00 am
 I'm scheduled the 27th for my revision and I just got a post from a co-worker who went in for her revision and the surgeon (same as mine) could only take out her band due to a slip 10 days prior to surgery and now has to wait 4-8 weeks till he can do the revision. 

Has anyone else dealt with this? 

I can't afford to take off that much time from work... now I'm more nervous!    she thought going in for surgery it was for the full revision and didn't find out till she woke up he couldn't do it. 

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Ladytazz
on 12/16/11 8:25 am
Your doctor should have warned both of you of this possibility.  There are some surgeons that won't do the revision at the same time as the band removal due to fears of scar tissue and other issues.
Hopefully it won't happen but be prepared just in case.  Trust your surgeon that he knows what is best.  If it does happen it would be to your benefit and the time will go quickly.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

nkara
on 12/16/11 8:33 am
 my surgeon gave me all the complication risks and he said most of them happen in only 1% of his patients.  

I would not have a problem with having to wait if it does come to that but my company just implemented the policy that if your out more than 13 weeks you are terminated.   

I'll keep my fingers crossed that I have my surgery all in one like my surgeon has said.....

Frances S.
on 12/16/11 9:41 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 How nice for them.. exactly 1 week beyond what fmla would protect you for.
Frances S.
on 12/16/11 9:43 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 My guess would be that you would be out of work for a couple of weeks after they removed the band, go back to work, then go back off for your revision, which probably would only be off for 3-6 weeks depending on what your job is.  Unless you've taken a bunch of time off already, I doubt you'd hit that 13 week ceiling unless something went seriously wrong.
nkara
on 12/16/11 9:49 am
 I thought the same thing... "if" that does happen I'd have to go back and then take time off again.  I haven't taken any time off since starting this job and I've been there almost 2 years... I had one week vacation in that whole time so I have almost 200 hours saved for my earned time.  

I'm hoping for the best but preparing my mind for any mishaps just in case.  I have been waiting for a year to get this damn thing out of me and revise to bypass so I'm not going to let anything stop me now.   

Most Active
Recent Topics