Gout after surgery?

JennRose
on 12/17/11 3:07 pm - CA
I'm about 4 weeks post-op & woke up yesterday with horrible pain in my big toe. I thought that it had just bent back somehow in my sleep & it didn't hurt too much again until tonight. Tonight it hurts real bad! I looked it up on webmd & found that some of the symptoms (that I have) are obesity, recent surgery or hospitalization, rapid weight loss, & extremely low calorie diet. The biggest problem I have is that the site said the treatment for gout is NSAIDs...which I obviously can't take.

Sooo....has anyone had gout? What did you do for it? Do I need to go to my doctor next week or is this something I can take care of at home?
Eliza55
on 12/17/11 8:41 pm - PA

Call your doc.  It may or may not be gout - the doc is the best person to make the assessment, and provide appropriate treatment.

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Pupcake !.
on 12/17/11 10:17 pm - Stranded in, IA
Is your toe red, swollen and hot?  Throbbing pain?

It could be gout but you are pretty young.

Some of the meds they give to cut the uric acid are not NSAIDS.  But if we have to we CAN take NSAIDS.  They aren't poison but they do increase the chance of ulcers.  SSRI antidepressents also increase the chance but I'd be we have a few people  here that take them.

We have to weight the benefits with the risks.

Due to an autoimmune disease I have to take NSAIDS daily.   I need the antiinflammatory part.  I could take narcotics but with them the pain is still there, you just don't care, and the damage keeps going.  Plus I don't want to be knocked out all day.

Check with your doc.  gout is diagnosed with a blood test.

Good luck

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views