I hate it when I can't sleep

Sunbunnyqt
on 12/22/11 3:08 pm - FL
Have any of you had trouble sleeping since surgery? I don't really want to take any kind of prescription sleeping drug. They just make me feel lethargic and tired the next day.

The other bad thing about not sleeping is that the stuff in the refrigerator is calling to me. I am terrified about this. See one of the biggest problems pre-op is that I would eat when I really was not hungry. I know I need to set up some counseling the 1st part of the year. I really should have started right out of surgery so I could have a series of sessions at the end of this year and continue in the new year. Christmas is a very stressful time for me. I've always been the one to pull things together and now I just don't want to do it anymore.

It's like we miss the whole point of the season. I hope something happens to change my bah humbug feeling soon. I have been praying for a brighter outlook.

So anyway I am trying to ignore the refrigerator and all other temptations. I need to find a good book that will help me get through these moments. I haven't given in yet...here's hoping I can sleep soon.

"Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night."

seattledeb
on 12/22/11 4:50 pm
 I think there are several reasons that sleep can be a problem. Early out it may be some leftover effects of anesthesia.
I think a little further out it's hunger.I used to eat a 2000 calorie meal before I went to bed (before surgery!) and could sleep like a baby. I had enough fuel on board to sleep for 20 hours.
Sometimes now I wake up just because I'm hungry. I try to have easy  to grab things that I can mindlessly eat and then run back to bed. Cheese sticks work for me. Or cheese and some fruit.

Good luck..I hope it gets better for you. If not you can join the late-night posting crew.
Deb T.

seashell6417
on 12/22/11 11:59 pm - Gaylord, MN
Exercise earlier in the day can help you sleep better at night.  Try taking an extra walk or two throughout your day.  I slept a lot less for a few months after surgery.  The strange thing for me was that I didn't feel tired during the day as a result of less sleep.  If less sleep is not causing problems for you during the day I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If you do find you are too tired to function you probably need to find a solution. 

Finding something to do during the evening hours helps w/ the night time munchies.  I have found several inexpensive (less than $5 per year) magazine subscriptions so I always have something on hand to read that I can either spend an hour reading or just a few minutes.  Crosswords, sudoku and other puzzles also help. 
Tami

mikjul1
on 12/23/11 3:55 am - bel air, MD
I completely understand I am almost 3 weeks out of surgery and I can not sleep at night then do not want to get up in morning "off work for 4 weeks" because of surgery so I feel your trouble with sleep.
dawney
on 12/23/11 5:15 am

Not sleeping is a problem for me as wel.  I'm 4 months out and still occasionally have difficulty falling asleep.  I find that it is because I have so much more energy now that if I do not go to the gym I'm up until 2 AM.  The gym works well for me, simply because you can wear yourself out a little bit.

Dawn A Boesch    
sandyinbrookings
on 12/23/11 8:54 am - OR
I am about 3 1/2 weeks post op and I have been having trouble sleeping every since the surgery. I fall asleep ok but most nights I wake up about every half hour and I don't know why. Before surgery I could fall asleep and sleep for 10 hours no problem. I'm sure it is not because I have more energy, because I don't feel like I do. Another thing that I am experiencing is in the eveings both my legs and arms feel like a "restless leg syndrome", which I have always had in my legs but not near this bad. Before I could always take an Avil and it would calm it down, now we can't take it sooo. Wish I could help but wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
Merry Christmas to you.
No one can lower your self-esteem unless you give them permission.
tanya_valintino
on 12/23/11 12:42 pm - CA
 I have insomnia now and didn't before my surgery. It has gotten better. I can fall asleep fine but wake up between 3:30 and 4:30am. But like I said it has gotten better. :)
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views