portion control

immafatgirl
on 12/24/11 10:37 am - KY
m just wondering why , i cant eat much solid foods. but i can eat a whole individual size  single bag of popcorn??. twice i have ate the whole bag , mainly because i cant keep my fingers out of it . but i eat it with no problems. i know this portion size is not good for me . but im clueless as to how i can eat that much of it ..  
Keeves
on 12/24/11 11:15 am - Elizabeth, NJ

I presume that what you mean is: How can so much fit into my tiny pouch?

My guess is that the reason is because popcorn is almost totally air. Once you've chewed the air out of it, there's really not much volume left. Are you popping it yourself? If so, simply look at how much space the kernels take up BEFORE you pop them.
littleskie
on 12/24/11 12:30 pm - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
First of all the popcorn is carby. I'd stay away from it for awhile. I didn't touch it all my first year and a half. You want to optimize your weight loss while in your honeymoon period.

Second carbs start digesting in the mouth. Our saliva breaks it down pretty quickly. So you will be able to fit more in your pouch than you would other things like protein.

If you don't have it in the house you won't eat it. I'd give the rest away. Just my opinion tho. I do occasionally eat one of the smaller bags of popcorn with a movie. I'm also over two years out and i've lost over two hundred and sixty pounds. I need to lose more tho. So i'm going to stop the occasional cheating with carbs and get back on the bandwagon.

Good luck!!!

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Hattie T.
on 12/24/11 1:06 pm - Denver, CO
I am struggling to get all of my protein.  Are you getting all of your protein? 

Please be careful of the hard portions of the popcorn because it can get trapped and cause an intestinal infection.  I had diverticulitis and I was not a happy camper for a long time.  Also, I hope you are eating low sodium popcorn. 

Don't know why you are able to eat a bag of popcorn, but perhaps you'll eat less of it if you put your portion into a bowl and don't eat out of the bag.  And if you do go back for more portions, at least you are getting exercise.  Also, do you know for sure that the serving size is a single bag?  I checked my single bag (sometime ago) and it said that a serving was half the bag. 

Just please be careful,

Hattie
Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190      
poet_kelly
on 12/24/11 1:12 pm - OH
Are you chewing it up good?  This is a gross visual, but picture chewing it up and spitting it into a measuring cup.  How many cups would that whole bag make, chewed up?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

immafatgirl
on 1/8/12 1:51 pm - KY
took me awhile to get back. i got a new computer and had forgotten my password.. popcorn. i am addicted i guess because it taste so good. but all the info i got here, mkaes me think on that a lil bit . i know it doesnt keep me full and i already had diverticulitis and it does hurt me at times in my right side. i dont think i will buy any for awhile because im still eating that whole darn bag. i am sandra and i am a food addict ..
Keeves
on 1/8/12 8:50 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
Welcome back, and good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 551 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 535 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 333 views