When can I eat lettuce? skins? beans? rice?

Tali S.
on 12/24/11 8:01 pm - Jerusalem, Israel
When can I eat these 5 things???

lettuce?
vegetable/fruit skins? tomato/cucumber/carrot/apple
Broccoli?
Beans?
Rice?

I'm on soft/normal foods. I can pretty much eat anything. I'm eating veggies without skins (tomato cucumber mushroom onion carrot pickle), pasta with tomato sauce, bananas, toast with cheese, eggs, boca chicken patties, etc. They only limitations I have been following is on the above items, but its been a few weeks since I was told about them and I don't know if it's still necessary to avoid.

Can I try these things and see how I do? Or is there an actual amount of time that is necessary to wait. I'm 4.5 weeks out.

Thanks everyone!! And Merry xmas to those who celebrate!

Terrilmk
on 12/24/11 8:47 pm - SC
 It varies with the surgeon. I see a lot of people here eating refried beans right away post op.  I can't have any legumes till 3 months post op.  I can have most veggies now if cooked soft.  but no winter squash, potatoes or corn till 3 months.  I can start salad and raw veggies after my 4 week check up Tuesday. I can't have pasta, rice, or bread till 6 months. 

Check with your surgeon, or Nut.  They usually have guidelines for you to follow.

Sorry.  Not much help I know.
 HW 240 SW 224 CW 167          
redrider
on 12/24/11 8:58 pm
I was allowed raw vegetables and fruits at 6 weeks. Of course you should chew chew chew to emulsify the food.
poet_kelly
on 12/24/11 9:26 pm - OH
Do you mean when does your doc advise eating them?  I can tell you when mine advised I eat them, but yours may have a different opinion.

My doc said not to eat lettuce or raw fruit/veggies until six months out.  Beans I could have on pureed food, if I pureed them.  Otherwise on soft foods.  Rice on soft foods though he advised eating very little of it, ever.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Samantha.M
on 12/24/11 10:17 pm - Germany
For things like lettuce,raw veggies(carrots,celery ect) I was told 6 months out unless cooked. I can have tomatoes now and cucumbers as long as I peel it. Beans, Well I hate beans so I never asked about that. As for rice I think that's one of those things that's on the every once in a great while list after 8 months out.

I know I asked about sushi and he said I need to wait a while longer before I can have minimal sticky foods like sticky rice.
Proud army wife and mom of 2 ♥       
Price S.
on 12/25/11 12:56 am - Mills River, NC
What does your plan/Nut say?  Every Dr is different.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

stlfocus
on 12/25/11 1:50 am - IA
I am a little over 3 months and was cleared at about 6 week to eat whatever I wanted. It was suggested that I try one new food at a time and chew well.

I choose not to eat carbs like bread, rice, etc. because I was advised to eat protein first and then veggies if there is room. Usually after that, I am too full.

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 12/25/11 10:29 am
I was allowed to eat most foods as tolerated at 4 weeks.  I could eat lettuce at 4 weeks without a problem.  Raw carrots were difficult, cucumber and apple skins were difficult,  but if chewed well could be done.  At 3 months I was given the okay to eat any raw fruit and veggies that I haven't eaten yet.  I waited 6 months before eating steak but had no trouble.  I ordered it medium.  I usually get medium well.

Winnie

Tali S.
on 12/26/11 3:54 am - Jerusalem, Israel
Thanks for the replies everyone!
Once again, (and I should have known...) every one gets different answers. I'll take it slow and steady!!
It'll be a wonderful day when I can enjoy a normal salad!!!

Thanks again!!!
Tali
Keeves
on 12/26/11 4:23 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Yes, every surgeon has a different schedule. Some allow their patients to get back to normal food quickly, and others are much more cautious. And we should each follow our own doctor, etc etc.

But here's what I'm wondering: Even if they are all on different timetables, could it be that there is a consistent grouping of which foods come first, and which come last?

For example: I am at what my surgeon calls "Stage 4", and I'm allowed hard-boiled egg whites, banana, low fat cottage cheese, well-cooked carrots, canned tuna with low fat mayo, chopped steamed broccoli, yogurt, low fat deli meat, low fat chili. I am NOT yet allowed meat, pasta, bread, rice.

What I need is a much more inclusive list of what I can and can't have at this point. Some of it I can figure out on my own. For example, if chili is okay, that teaches me that well-cooked beans are okay. But I have no idea where potatoes fit into this scheme. Is it more like pasta (which is on Stage 5) or more like farina (which was already ok at Stage 3)?

I'm NOT looking to break my surgeon's guidelines; I just wish I understood them better.