right incision

wendydettmer
on 12/25/11 8:34 am - Rochester, NY
 Hello everyone!

Does anyone know if there are 'standard' ways the instruments go in the incisions?  My 'largest' incision on my right side is annoying the heck outta me.  it's not oozing or anything and doesn't feel hot to the touch, but it does burn sometimes when i stand up or sit down.  i'm sure it's just healing, the nurses said it sounded fine, but just curious.

also, i'm assuming it's ok to ice and/or heat these?  i am to try to help, but now that i'm home and can't ask the nurses all my silly questions, i'm just checking.  

I go back on thursday for my 1 week, but if it doesn't get better i'll call before then

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

peaches_lynne
on 12/25/11 9:22 am - IN
Hi Wendy,

I don't have the answer to your question, but I've also experienced burning in one of my right incisions.  I think the incision where they put the largest instruments for me was on the left, but I digress...

My surgeon's office has someone on-call even through the holidays - do you know if yours has that set up?  I have been encouraged to call if I'm experiencing problems; I might suggest you see if your surgeon's office offers the same.  It would be worth it to get some relief and make sure that you don't do anything that would alter the healing process.  One thing that comes to mind for me is whether you plan to use wet or dry heat/cooling.  I was told not to do soaking baths, for instance, so as not to harm the dissolving stitches.  I would think that the same could apply to compresses.  Therefore, I'd definitely call the surgeon's office before deciding on how to treat it.

Best of luck to you- I hope you get some much-needed relief!
lilredcrvtt
on 12/25/11 11:06 pm
I had the same thing and was told it was due to the manipulation of the instrument that was put in. Mine didn't ooze either and even after it was healed it still hurt. Once the muscle repaired itself it was fine. As long as it is not red and "angry" looking I wouldn't worry too much.

Most Active