new issue with me!

willoseit
on 12/26/11 7:25 am
I was wondering if anyone can give me a clue as to what is happening to me today,  I am 3 weeks post-op and today I have had a really heavy feeling in my pouch.  I ate about 1/2 a scrambled egg this morning and for lunch i tried to eat some canned chicken and about 3 very soft cooked baby carrots, i got only a few bites in and felt so incredibly full.  I am also having a hard time with liquids too.  I sip and the go down fine I just feel like I swallowed a rock.  Tummy is grumbly now but I dont want to push eating because it still feels like I just ate.  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Teresa

HW: 324.7  SW:      CW:        GW:165    
(deactivated member)
on 12/26/11 7:34 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Eggs are difficult for many of us when we are newly post-op.  I c ouldn't eat eggs for a year.

You may be trying something a little too dense when eating the chicken.  Try refried beans w/cheese, or chili (mild, please!!), or some tuna salad w/a bit of mayo. And yes, you were probably full.

Keep in mind that you do not have a lot of room.  Do not go for the "full" feeling, because you don't know what your full feeling is anymore.  Watch for your High Level Alarm:  when your nose starts to run, or if you hiccup or belch, quit eating.  You are done.

Best wishes,
Keeves
on 12/26/11 9:44 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
I have noticed my nose being runny at times. I didn't realize it could be a result of eating too much. What's the connection? I'm not doubting you, I just want to understand the mechanics better.

(deactivated member)
on 12/26/11 11:15 pm, edited 12/26/11 11:25 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Well, mechanically, it's because of the vagus nerve which serves our entire internal system.  Look it up online!  It's connected from our brain to EVERYTHING!! 

So when your food hits your esophagus (which is just above where your stoma now makes the connection to your intestines) your body lets you know that you've hit your "High Level Alarm" because the esophagus isn't supposed to have food inside it.

Watch for your HLA;  you and I get runny noses, some folks belch, others hiccup.  When you hit your HLA QUIT EATING.  You'll feel a lot better doing that rather than suffering from the uncomfortable effects of eating too much for your little new pouch, Plus it's an excellent way to begin "mindful eating" which will help you a lot in your new life.

Good luck!
april89love
on 12/26/11 7:39 am - NC
It may just be because it is pretty soon after surgery. I know it was very slow going for me. I worked at getting all my liquids 1st and then protein, then vitamins, etc. it took me months to get on a roll with the life changes. Hope it gets better for you!

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

mikjul1
on 12/26/11 7:39 am - bel air, MD
I am 3 weeks post op to scrambled eggs make me sick rumbling in pouch I hear sometimes it takes time before we can eat eggs.I know the feeling.
willoseit
on 12/26/11 8:19 am
I appreciate you all ringing in.  I will lay off eggs for a bit.  I am just so sick of tired of being sick and tired( i know it could be worse) but it seems like for me so far it has been 2 steps forward 1 step back.....yes in the end it is still going forward though.  Just going to take it easy tonight and maybe later try something bland.  I cannot wait for the day to come that I can eat and feel good.

Teresa

HW: 324.7  SW:      CW:        GW:165    
mikjul1
on 12/26/11 9:34 am, edited 12/25/11 9:34 pm - bel air, MD
I understand. have a good night I have been havung a hard time getting any energy to do anything been tired and that is not me I am a hyper person so I guess it is lack of food lol. I go back to work in a week that should get me back on track. I hate not doing anything.
boilerbabe003
on 12/26/11 10:00 am
You could have a stricture. That's what happened to me and I had to go in twice for dialation before I started to be able to eat or drink without a feeling of being completely and totally full with just one bite.  If the feeling continues you might want to see you surgeon and ask about endoscopy to make sure that you don't have a stricture.  Good luck!
missjann
on 12/26/11 2:33 pm
It's probably a bit early for eggs and chicken although everybody's a bit
different in what they can tolerate.  I'm a year out and just now able to do
eggs well.  The only meats I tolerate are ground and chicken was the very
last meat I could eat.  At 3 weeks, about 2 ounces of actual food had me
quite full.  I could tolerate a bit more protein drink.  As for liquids, sip
slowly and try different liquids. I still don't do well with plain water and
I always feel better with warm drinks than with cold ones. I also had
to play around with my protein powder to find one that works well....
and I switched quickly from regular milk to lactaid milk or soy as my
lactose intolerance became quite apparent after surgery. That is also
pretty common.  Even a bit too much cottage cheese has my pouch
feeling heavy and yucky.  Take the addition of new foods really slow and easy.
I lived on Wendy's chili and refried beans for months after surgery. Now I
can eat most anything, although there are a number of things I choose
not to eat.  It gets better.  Hang in there and good luck!
    Jan

Most Active
Recent Topics