One week and one day after surgery...

thepromises
on 1/11/12 2:06 am
RNY on 01/03/12 with
 I don't know... It doesn't seem that i'm handling things well. I can't stomach the protein shakes. I have many varieties, and all that. I purchased a bunch before surgery, because i know a lot of people have different tastes after and all that. This just is different then what I expected. I can't handle the taste. Not to mention my breath... i brush my teeth, gargle mouthwash, etc. Still horrible. 

And i'm tired. I want to be able to exercise for my stress relief, but of course it doesn't work when I'm in so much pain it hurts to stand up from a reclining position. 

Yesterday was not a good day. I literally ate nothing bu****er all day. I tried a shake, couldn't get past one sip. Tried another, nope, not happening. I even tried a pureed soup, and that didn't happen. I know i need the protein to heal, and previously I was all ready for this. I'm not sure why I'm rebelling like i am. And then all evening i pretty much spent it sobbing. I'm not a cryer, I don't know what brought it on. I didn't even know what I was crying about, I just was. 

I am going out of the house today, so that should help at least with this cabin fever. God, daytime TV is horrible. 

anyhow... anyone have any ideas of how i can choke down some of the protein shakes? I know i need them, and I am going to try even harder to get them in... it's just so frustrating when it all tastes horrible. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/11/12 2:34 am
Hi there. I am really sorry you are going thru this. It is very true that everyone's body is different because we had surgery the same day and I am blessed to say that i haven't had any problems. In order for me to be able to drink my protein drink i also have to have ice in it. If it isnt cold i dont think i can tolerate it. Plus i like my protein with water instead of milk. I divide my intake i don't try to do it all at once. I hope things get better for you.
Kenochs84
on 1/11/12 2:59 am - PA
RNY on 01/03/12
 I am right on the same board with you about the protein drinks.  I HATE them!  ugh  They disgust me!  I have been choking them down though.  Can you tolerate milk?  Maybe drink some of that instead of jus****er?? Also maybe you could try some isopure drinks. They are like vitamin water, only they have 40 grams of protein per 20 oz.  I just bought some today. Not sure how I will like them...but I am willing to give it a shot!  Good luck!
RadioGuy
on 1/11/12 3:35 am - OK
Remember to give yourself some time to adjust. If it takes a little bit to get your protein in that fine. You're not going to hurt yourself if you don't get in 50 grams of protein in a day at the start. As for the taste, you'll need to go through different products to find one that you can tolerate. I mix mine with almond milk. That nearly masks the chaulky taste when you mix it with water. Don't give up on yourself. You're doing good. The early days after surgery are the most difficult. Give yourself some time to adjust and you'll do just fine.

Best,
RadioGuy
"A happy life consists not in the absence of, but the mastery of hardships"           
terriphillips417
on 1/11/12 4:08 am - Graham, WA

So sorry you are having problems.  I am almost 4 weeks out and am having the same problem.  Nothing that tasted ok before tasted good now.  I wasn't able to drink my protein at all and even had problems with water.  I found out yesterday I had a stricture.  They fixed that and I fell much better, but it doesn't change that I still have to gag down the protein.  Good luck and just keep trying.

Matt2011
on 1/11/12 4:50 am - Moorhead, MN
 I hope everything gets better for you soon. 

“Victory is won not in miles but in inches. Win a little now, hold your ground, and later, win a little more.?   Louis L'Amour quote  

Mandy R.
on 1/11/12 5:01 am - Callahan, FL
I was the same way for about three weeks after surgery.  It gets better !  Just work on getting the 64 oz of fluids in.  You will be able to get your protein in, it just takes time for your body to adjust.
Mandy

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

cebryon
on 1/11/12 5:22 am - NE
RNY on 01/04/12
I'm exactly one week out and I put my protein with my pudding mix them add my milk. It masks the taste alot. At hyvee they have cinnamon bun whey protein in their health aisle so I put that in my cheesecake pudding. I'm always feeling full and don't want to put anything in my mouth but then I feel guilty. I haven't vomited or anything yet though. I also use the body fortress at Walmart and they had a banana one in a can from vitamin shoppe that I liked
cebryon
on 1/11/12 5:28 am - NE
RNY on 01/04/12
You might want to check with you're doctor about pain cuz I haven't even taken the pain meds they sent me home with. But ya when I was in the hospital the bad part was trying to get up from a reclining position. I felt pretty Sad and alone the other day to questioning my decision but we did it and now for better or worse were going to work with it
mustangmama
on 1/11/12 10:53 am - TX
RNY on 01/03/12
I am also struggling to get protein drinks down.  Bought some Body Fortress Shots at Wal-Mart (3oz. equals 26g protein) and surprisingly am able to take 2 large sips followed by water, then someone on the board said it was like eating Flintstone vitamins and chocolate chip cookies, so I freaked that I was doing something wrong.

I asked my surgeon about them and he said they will do just fine for me until I can start consuming my protein through food.  Also, I bought egg drop soup from a local chinese restaurant and ran it through a food processor so it would be like a liquid soup...also, alot of protein in the egg drop soup.

I have been in ALOT of pain since my RNY...especially the location where the tube was.  On my post-op visit this Monday, my doctor said I had an infection so I'm on an antibiotic at the moment, but it still really hurts to standup straight and get up from a reclining position or from bed.

Each day is getting better though...hang in there.