Yet another vitamin question

Mrsmary04
on 1/16/12 8:22 am - CO
RNY on 07/05/11 with

Ok so 6 month post op results are back and these are the 2 I am worried about. The doc still hasn't called me about them so thought I would get some advice from here. My doc has me on
Sublingual dots b-12 1x a day (one dot is 500 mcg)
Prenatal ( i think for the extra folic acid??) 1x a day (1 tablet)
and
Calcium citrate with vit. D 2 tablets 3x a day for a total of 6 tablets (2 tabs have 630 mg calcium and 500IU vitamin d)

Now I know that all docs are different but when I read others posts it seems like everyone else is on way more vitamins then I am. Is there something else that I should be on to help these levels out?

VITAMIN D,25-HYDROXY

30.0 - 80.0

ng/mL
Reference Range:
Deficiency: 80 ng/mL

FOLATE 8.2 > 6.6 ng/mL

~MARY~       
poet_kelly
on 1/16/12 8:34 am - OH
You need two multis a day.  We need 200% of the RDA of stuff.

Your D level lis 80?  That's fine.  You don't want it to drop any, though.  I'm surprised it's that high without taking extra D3.  You might wanna start taking a little just to be sure.

You're not taking iron?  How much is in that one multi you're taking?  If you still menstruate, you need about 54-63 mg iron a day.  Otherwise, you need 36 mg a day, according to the ASMBS.

What was your B 12 level?

The reason many of us are on many more vitamins is because as time goes on, people tend to develop more deficiencies.  We base our vitamins on our labs, after doing the basics as suggested by the ASMBS.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mrsmary04
on 1/16/12 8:44 am, edited 1/16/12 8:45 am - CO
RNY on 07/05/11 with
That didn't paste right lol no my Vit d level is 16.3

So I am taking it that the prenatal would be my multi and there is 28 mg of iron in it. my b-12 level is 376.
So then what is the folate and should I be worried that it is low?
~MARY~       
poet_kelly
on 1/16/12 8:57 am - OH
Oh, wow!  Your D and B12 are both dangerously low, then.

If your D is below 80, you're at increased risk for osteoporosis, heart disease, some kinds of cancer, other bad stuff.  You need BIG doses of D3.  When mine was 25, I took 50,000 IU D3 daily for a couple months until my level got up.

When your B12 is below 400, you can get PERMANENT nerve damage.  Got numbness or tingling in your hands and feet yet?  Are you tired?  Depressed?  You need much more B12.  I would do shots for a while to get it up faster, but if you want to stick with the sublingual, you could take something like 2000 mcg a day for a while.

Folate is B9.  If you take your prenatal twice a day, that will probably come up.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mrsmary04
on 1/16/12 9:05 am - CO
RNY on 07/05/11 with
 Got numbness or tingling in your hands and feet yet? Are you tired? Depressed? YES YES AND YES.....I had no idea since I have taken the same dose for the last 6 months.

So I could just walk into my walmart and get regualer D3?
Also since it seems like my iron is low should I pick up some?
and just take an extra prenatal to bring up the b9?
~MARY~       
poet_kelly
on 1/16/12 9:31 am - OH
You need that B12 up fast because that numbness and tingling could become permanent.  The tiredness and depression will improve when your B12 goes up but the nerve problems can be permanent.  It's scary stuff.

If your iron is low, that will make you tired, too.  But you will be doubling your iron if you take another prenatal. 

Yes, take an extra prenatal and see if that brings up the B9.

You can get D3 at Walmart but not in big doses.  What I personally would do is go to vitalady.com and order the 50,000 IU D3 capsules.  You won't get that big a dose in stores.  You could take one a day for a month or two, then cut back to taking them just a couple times a week.

In a month or two, after making these changes, get your vitamin D, B12 and folate checked again to see if they are normal.  You can cut back on the D3 and B12 once they get up to normal.  You want your D at least 80 and B12 absolutely above 550, but around 1000 is ideal.

And just so everybody knows, I'm not a doctor, I'm saying what I personally would do in this situation.  You get to decide what you will do.

Mrsmary04
on 1/16/12 9:43 am - CO
RNY on 07/05/11 with
Thank you kelly its been a big help.
~MARY~       
Most Active
Recent Topics