Tomorrow's my 1st surgical consult and RD appointment!

BrennaRawks
on 1/17/12 10:16 pm - CT
RNY on 10/03/12
Hey everyone! Hope you all have had a good new year so far.
Tomorrow I meet with my surgeon for the first time, and also have my 1st appointment with the registered dietician. I'm so excited and nervous all at once. Having experienced poor medical care due to my obesity (attitudes from doctors/nurses, etc), I'm worried about this even though I've heard nothing but good things about the program I've chosen. If you've been through negative treatment by medical personnel, how did you get over your nerves/fears of dealing with a bariatric surgeon? I guess what I'm saying is that I'm afraid he'll say I just need to work out and eat less and basically just stop being a fatty fatt 2x4, even though in my head, i know he's not like that.
tamalong
on 1/18/12 6:37 am - UT
If you encounter a Bariatric surgeon and staff that treat you like that, I say RUN! The men and women at my doctors office are the nicest people in the world. So understanding. I too was scared when I first met with the staff, only to find that they really did care how I felt. Yes they are going to tell you that you need to exercise and yes they are going to tell you about some of the changes in food choices you will need to make. But really you already know this after being on the OH site, right?
You are going to learn some new things and I hope you come away feeling excited. I know I did. I am still in the beginning phase, my insurance requires either a 3 month multidisciplinary diet or a 6 month with my pcp. I have opted for the 3 month. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Tami
Doing my 3 month Multi-Disciplinary diet. Hoping to have my RNY late May early June.
SW: 256 CW: 251

1Haute Diva
on 1/18/12 7:03 am - Fort Stewart, GA
RNY on 03/20/12
I know you must be excited (even with the fear). But I must say that since they deal with us everyday you will probably never find doctors any more fat friendly than a bariatric doctor.

Trust me, once you get to the surgeon's office everything will seem more real. I left my appointment on cloud nine, just knowing that I had taken a major step in this journey made me so happy.
- Shaw

BrennaRawks
on 1/19/12 11:06 pm - CT
RNY on 10/03/12
Perhaps I should've explained myself better. I've always been told by my pcp (prior to my current one) that WLS is the lazy way out of obesity, and I just needed to "put down the donuts". I do of course realize that 1) WLS is not a quick fix; it's a tool to help and 2) that there are tremendous dietary and exercise changes/needs. :)
Yesterday went better than I expected. They were kind and answered all my questions without looking at me like I was stupid. I learned a lot from my RD that i didn't know before. The only thing that surprised me is that I have to lose 10% of my body weight in the next month. I guess I'm too fat to be safe for surgery. That was kind of a shock, but I'm not gonna let myself be ashamed. I've got all the tools and support to do this!
The other thing that surprised me was my insurance change. January 1 we had a change in insurance. Before, I was told 6 months of RD visits before approval. Now it's only 3 months! and  all at once!
Most Active
Recent Topics