Calories at 4 weeks out?

vim_and_vinegar
on 1/26/12 11:17 am
 I'm 4 weeks out and down 37 pounds (whoot!). My surgeon told me that I shouldn't be worrying about my calories at this point, but of course, being me, I am totally worrying. 

On a normal day I usually eat between 450-550 calories, 60-70 carbs, 2-13 grams of fat, and 60-70 grams of protein. Too much? Not enough? Just right? My NUT's guidelines are rather vague on the specifics, and I don't want to jeapordize my weight loss by eating too much or too little.

(I also take 2 multivitamins, a B12 supplement, and a calcium citrate supplement, so I think I'm fine for vitamins...but tell me if I'm wrong!)

Thanks as always for your help! 

Keeves
on 1/26/12 11:54 am - Elizabeth, NJ
I don't count my carbs or fat, but everything else is pretty close to my numbers. I think we're both doing okay. Either that, or Lora and Nik will get on our case. I'll be coming back to find out!

poet_kelly
on 1/26/12 12:33 pm - OH
Your surgeon's right, you don't need to worry about calories right now.  Focus on your protein.

and your vitamins are fine for now.  You'll make adjustments when you get labs done in a couple months.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

vim_and_vinegar
on 1/26/12 1:24 pm
 Here's my confusion (and I know this is going to sound stupid): I use MyFitnessPal to track everything. Initially I'd adjusted it for an 800-calorie a day diet and wasn't going over the limit on my fat or sugar. Now I've adjusted to 600 calories, since that's what I'm eating, and I see I'm over on both fat and sugar pretty much every day (though not by much). I have no idea how NOT to go over -- all my fat is coming from chicken, and all my sugar from yogurt (pretty much all I eat). 

Basically I'm worried that proportionate to my daily calorie intake, the amount of fat and sugar I eat are too high. Or should I be calibrating this on a higher calorie amount?

Gahhh. Basically I need a live-in nutritionist. Thank god for OH. :-/

poet_kelly
on 1/26/12 1:45 pm - OH
If the fat is from chicken and the sugar is from yogurt, don't worry about it.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

vim_and_vinegar
on 1/26/12 1:47 pm
 AWESOME! Honestly, a huge weight off my mind. 

poet_kelly
on 1/26/12 1:49 pm - OH
I really think there is a big difference between fat from chicken and fat from a candy bar, you know?  The food tracker thing might not account for the difference, but there's still a difference.

vim_and_vinegar
on 1/26/12 2:17 pm
That certainly makes sense -- and the same no doubt goes for the sugar from yogurt vs the sugar from a candy bar as well. 

Alana_says_hi
on 1/26/12 2:50 pm
RNY on 01/18/12
I think as long as you follow the surgens rules, eat three meals a day, take your supplements, and get all your protien and fluids in you will be doing great :)
Alana :)
Keeves
on 1/26/12 7:31 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
Kelly, can you elaborate on the differences? If the numbers are similar, is there really a nutritional difference between a fatty and sugary piece of meat as compared to a fatty and sugary piece of candy?

If your point relates to good and bad eating habits, then I certainly agree that real food is better than junk food. But as a one-off nutritional event, I don't understand why there'd be a difference.