eating and drinking liquids

shannon0731
on 1/27/12 6:04 am - LA
I have been following the rule of 30 to 60 minutes of wait time before and after eating. Here is my question--I still drink a protein shake every morning.  Do I need to wait the time frame for drinking water after I drink a shake? Or do I just need to wait when I will be eating solid food? And is the same for drinking a protein shake? I usually take about an hour to drink my 20 oz shake, especially if I am at work.  Sometimes, I feel like a small snack less than an hour-like maybe a cheese stick.  I guess I am trying to figure out why the wait?  if I knew why we have to wait, then maybe it would make more sense. I mean, I know why not to drink water too close before or during a meal--fills you up before you get in your protein an nutrients. but why afterward?

Thanks!
I'm Ready!

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 1/27/12 6:15 am
RNY on 01/10/12
 Because it washes the food out of your pouch faster, making you hungry sooner.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

ShebasMom
on 1/27/12 6:32 am
Revision on 07/05/16
You don't need to wait 30-60 minutes before eating, to drink. I drink up to 10-15 mins before eating. But it is better to wait 30-60 mins after eating before you drink. Fluids wash food out of the pouch and that will make you hungry sooner.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

poet_kelly
on 1/27/12 6:44 am - OH
No, it's not about filling you up.  It's because drinking right after eating washes the food out of your pouch so you get hungry again too soon.

There is actually no reason to wait 30 minutes before eating, though.  No reason not to drink up until you're ready to eat.

And since your protein shake is liquid, you don't need to wait to drink after you drink it, either.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lilbear412
on 1/27/12 10:14 am - MN
 someone on here posted a youtube video the other day and it was a guy who put a funnel in a glass..it had applesauce in the funnel..kind of what our food should be like in our pouch..it was dripping slowly out of the funnel into the glass.. he added a tiny bit of water (like a drink) and the applesauce came out faster..he then added about 1/3 cup and it all rushed out.  Thats why you don't drink for 30 - 60 minutes after a meal.  Like Kelly and others said, no reason why not to drink almost up to when you eat.  The only reason i can find for not drinking before you eat is that it very very temporarily fills you up and if you put food in it will wa**** out.  So i give it usually 10 minutes after i drink to eat.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views