Food getting stuck

thin_by_thirty
on 2/2/12 7:35 am - Parma, OH
RNY on 01/03/12
I am about 1 month out from surgery and just started on soft foods.  As much as I try to chew very well, some things get stuck.  I had the unpleasent pleasure of throwing up because the food (scrambled eggs) was just too stuck.  Onto my question:  Does anyone have any tips on getting food unstuck?  I have tried walking, breathing through the pain, and (by accident) throwing up.  Although they all work eventually, what worked/works best for you?
                                   I will be Thin by Thirty!  ~Megan

LJ1972
on 2/2/12 7:41 am, edited 2/1/12 7:42 pm - FL
a lot of people seem to have trouble with eggs. Did the same thing happen with other foods?

ETA - sometimes papaya enzyme (buy it in your vitamin aisle) will help with stuck proteins; don't get in the habit of using it as an "out" though... always chew thoroughly, try moist foods, etc
thin_by_thirty
on 2/2/12 7:58 am - Parma, OH
RNY on 01/03/12
Yes, it happens with a lot of different foods.  I will try the enzymes, thanks.

xtine
on 2/2/12 7:43 am - San Jose, CA
I have heard Papaya Enzymes can help.

HW: 295 / SW: 273 / CW: 169.4 / GW: 140 / Dream Goal: 120
Height: 5'3.5"  -  *22lbs of my weightloss was lost pre-surgery.

thin_by_thirty
on 2/2/12 7:59 am - Parma, OH
RNY on 01/03/12
Thanks

RobinAment
on 2/2/12 7:57 am - FL
I do just fine with eggs but I do scramble them with milk and they come out very moist. I actually have that problem with tuna. Last 2 times I've tried eating it, it's gotten stuck. I agree it's pretty painful. I just keep drinking water and it eventually goes down.
thin_by_thirty
on 2/2/12 8:00 am - Parma, OH
RNY on 01/03/12
Tuna was my first culprit but now I eat it all the time.  I tried drinking water but it seems to just sit on top of the food.  I'll try that again next time.  Thanks.

stellasnyder1
on 2/2/12 9:43 am - Williams, AZ

Go see your doctor. I had the same problem and had a stricture. I suffered for 3 weeks before going to the doctor. Thought I could live through it. I had to be scoped 2x and feel 100% better!

HW 272 / SW 242 / GW 150      
westwoodbob
on 2/2/12 2:21 pm - Olympia, WA
I am 9 weeks out and have been stuck at least half a dozen time. Thowing up seems to work best I have tried enzimes but did not work. I now scamble one egg beatter and one egg and it goes down fine.
Chilipepper
on 2/2/12 2:29 pm
Learn what foods give you a problem, leave them alone for a month and then go back..  You need to make sure you are chewing and eating what you have measured, not till you feel full. 

Please do not get in the habit of taking papaya enzyme...save that for the most dire of occasions.  Papaya enzyme is meat tenderizer.  This is a surgery of trying to change our eating habits...what we can eat and HOW we eat it.  Small bites, chew chew chew...if it bothers you know...wait a month or two and try it again.

If something get stuck, it will eventually work its way through...you don't have stomach acid now to break things down..so slow down and eat small bites. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views