Anti-depressant not agreeing with me

kathyshrinks
on 2/3/12 5:04 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
I have been taking Wellbutrin (bupropion) for a while, and after my surgery 2 weeks ago, the doc gave me the non-time-release kind so I could cru****  Problem is, it makes me feel like I have a tummy full of acid for about 3 hours after taking it.  I have tried cutting it into small pieces and swallowing it instead of crushing, but it's still a problem.  I have an appointment on Tuesday to talk with my regular doc about alternatives, but I am not sure she will know which anti-depressants are less likely to cause stomach upset when crushed.  I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, or is taking an anti-depressant that they are tolerating well.  It would be great if it didn't taste like a tummy full of acid as well, but that's probaby too much to hope for. 

I also have a call in to my surgeon's office to see if they have any recommendations, but I wanted to poll this group as well.   Thanks!

Tonya499
on 2/3/12 10:20 am - Riverton, UT
 I take my pills whole.  No problems at all.

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
Cathrine J.
on 2/3/12 5:22 pm - Victoria, Canada
RNY on 02/01/12
Do you take an antidepressant?  If so, do you take it whole?

I've got the order to crush all my meds for the first three weeks and just tried crushing a single antidepressant and putting it in yogurt.  (I need to take 3 antid tablets each day.)  Egads was it ever bitter!  I had to throw it out and will need to try taking them in halves in yogurt.  I know it's okay to split them but crushing them is not an option.

HW 262, BMI 46.2 / SW 216, BMI 38.2 / CW 183 / GW 155
*45 lbs were lost pre-op.
5' 3 1/2"

Tonya499
on 2/3/12 11:46 pm - Riverton, UT
 I take Cymbalta, Abilify, Nuvigil, Nexium and synthroid.  I break the Nuvigil in half but that's about it.  You should try to follow your doctors instructions though.

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
kittehkitteh27
on 2/3/12 10:40 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
Wellbutrin is one of my meds as well. I haven't had an issue swallowing my pills whole. I take them with a small sip of water right before a meal or protein shake. Maybe its taking the med on an empty stomach that is the problem?

~Kitteh~   Start 363 / Surgery 346 / Current 204.1 / Goal 150

Mandi_1-3-12
on 2/3/12 11:37 am
I started taking my prescribed Prozac without crushing it - I could not stand the taste anymore.  I am supposed to take 3 (60mg) per day and today I took them all at once - sent me right to the bathroom dry heaving 5 minutes later.  It was awful.  I am almost 5 weeks out - just started taking them whole last week.  Just space them out! 
iowa_missie74
on 2/5/12 11:57 pm - IA
I had horrible tasting meds too! Crushing them was disgusting. The only thing that helped me get them down was to crush them, put them in a med cup with a little water with strawberry crystal light and take it down like a shot. Worked great. On a positive note...only 2 more weeks of crushing.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 180 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 251 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 262 views