Antibotics

faylynn23
on 2/4/12 11:55 am - College Park, MD
I developed an abscess on the side of my face this past Monday.  I was started on Augmentin.  The abscess open up and is draining, however there is significant redness present, hardness, warmth and pain.  I am wondering has anyone had to take antibiotic and was the dose adjusted because of a gastric by pass.  I will go to urgent care in the am, I want the drainage culture to make sure the infection is sensitive to Augmentin.  I really believe at a week out it should be better.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

april89love
on 2/4/12 11:58 am - NC
I took liquid augmentin for a staph infection this summer. It took awhile for it to clear up. If I were you I would get it cultured anyway, mine never opened up. Better to be safe than sorry.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

faylynn23
on 2/4/12 12:04 pm - College Park, MD
Was there a reason for the liquid Augmentin? What dose were you on and how long were you on it?  I am on 500-125 twice daily for 10 days and this is day 5.  Did they think the liquid would be more effective?  Sorry for so many question, I am an RN so I so afraid of a serious complication.

april89love
on 2/4/12 12:08 pm - NC
I asked for the liquid because I just could not stand the thought of another pill at the time. I don't remember the dosage. I don't blame you for being concerned, there are so many things that cause infections nowadays. It took the full 10 days to see some real improvement in my infection, I was still working on getting enough protein, so I healed slowly from everything.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

faylynn23
on 2/4/12 12:13 pm - College Park, MD
Thanks you.

rbb825
on 2/4/12 12:47 pm - Suffern, NY
I would definitely ask for a culture -if you take the wrong antibiotic, then it is a waste of time and money plus the infection will only get worse.  You might want to to go to the ER since after 5 days you should be better and if it opened and you are showing signs of infection, you might need IV antibiotics

you don't want it to get into your bloodstream

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?