Time off work--how much to take off

kimberkim
on 2/7/12 8:44 am - Stouffville, Canada
I have booked a week off work to recover from surgery. Is that enough time or should I take more time? To all you folks that has had surgery, how long before you went back?
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 2/7/12 8:50 am
I was off 5 weeks.  I had an allergic reaction to my oral pain meds so I took Benedryl and slept and itched the first week. 

Winnie

ChaosInFL
on 2/7/12 8:52 am - Orlando, FL

I took 4 weeks off and was glad I did.  It was nice since I had a g-tube sticking out of me for all that time.  I got paid time off from my employer using Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).  If I didn't have that option, I would have used 2 weeks vacation.

Good luck on your surgery!

abclaybrook
on 2/7/12 8:52 am - TX
 I was off 2 weeks, but probably should have taken another week... It really depends on what you do!!
kimberkim
on 2/7/12 9:01 am - Stouffville, Canada
oh my! 1 week may not be enough huh? I am a graphic artists and sit in front of the computer all day. I don't have any heavy lifting. Well, fingers crossed i recover quick.

Thanks for your feedback.
Lori P.
on 2/7/12 10:24 am - Kenosha, WI
I had 8 days off....it sucked....I lived!  Good luck 

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

HouptMom
on 2/7/12 9:08 am - PA
 I took off two weeks based on the advice of a good friend that had the surgery a few years ago and her work is similar.  I too am at a desk a lot and on a computer.  I do walk and talk with people, but no lifting at all.  My friend said she was very tired and that was hard the first week or two back, but she said physically she was able to heal nicely and all.  
Good Luck and hope your plans work out with your job!

HW 267/SW 243/CW 177/ GW160

strawberryblondie
on 2/7/12 9:18 am - Virginia Beach, VA
 My plan was two weeks off, and I felt ok to go back,,,,maybe a bit tired.  but my doc wouldn't release me for another week.  So i had 3 weeks total....

First visit with surgeon                            3/17/11
Cleared for surgery                                  4/29/11
Approved by insurance                            5/10/11
Surgery Date                                            5/24/11

poet_kelly
on 2/7/12 9:31 am - OH
Most people seem to take two to four weeks off.

I had only planned to take one week, as I work from home with my laptop, and I ended up having complications and being off almost three months.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

abby04276
on 2/7/12 9:36 am
I was going to take 1 1/2 weeks but Doc recommended 2 1/2. Towards the end of it I was antsy but I am glad I took that long. I was a little sore and tired when I went back but I did fine. I would think you should take at least 2 weeks. It is work just getting in your liquids and protein at the beginning. Good Luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 257 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 315 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views