Bladder infection help!

Stacy11
on 2/8/12 10:07 am
 Can I take Uti meds for this over the counter?

Mia H.
on 2/8/12 10:14 am - OH
As a constant UTI sufferer, I take Azo over the counter to help with the symptoms, but the only way for it to completely be gone for me is to get antibiotics which are not over the counter.

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/12 11:11 am, edited 2/8/12 11:16 am
Hi Stacy, we have the same doctor!  AND, I was just there today getting diagnosed with my first in my life UTI  :) 

edit: oh, and Brooke prescribed antibiotics.  I did ask her if I could just flu**** out but she said the only way to get rid of the infection for sure is antibiotics.  

rbb825
on 2/8/12 11:32 am - Suffern, NY
I   suffer with chronic bladder infections.  While there is over the counter medication that helps with the burning - called pyridium (not sure the exact name it is called but it is the same as the prescription stuff but it is 100mg over the counter and 200mg when given via prescription) but if you have a bladder infection, it won't go away without antibiotics and if left untreated can lead to a kidney infection.  Please see a doctor for antibiotics and take the entire bottle even if you feel better half way through because if you stop half way through, the infection will come back.

I have have had repeated infections since June and can't get rid of them.  I am now seeing an infectious disease doctor to try to figure out what is going on.  I also see a urologist due to my kidney stones which is part of the problem but the infections are beginning to become resistant to antitbiotics and I am allergic to many = I am very difficult to treat.

I have been hospitalized for urinary sepsis 2 times this past fall as well

justthe3ofus
on 2/8/12 12:35 pm - Northwest, IN
 Right after my surgery in November I had 3 back to back UTI's. I took OTC Cystex to help with the burning & chewable Cranberry supplements along with Bactrim DS antibiotic that was prescribed for a total of 30 days. Please call your doctor in the morning and get an antibiotic. A UTI can lead to a kidney infection which is serious business if left untreated. Also remember to drink plenty of fluids. Some people also recommend staying away from artificial sweeteners while you have a UTI. Good luck!
Kim B.

HW 295/ SW 281/ CW 209.6/ GW 155
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Stacy11
on 2/8/12 9:37 pm
Thank you all!!!  I started taking the over the counter and the URGE to pee has subsided Maybe I will just call doc too and make sure I get anitibotic... my doc that did surgey is over an hour away and they usually wont just call me something in... however I can go or call my med doc...

Thanks for the answers..this board rocks!

Most Active
Recent Topics