Kelly? Q on bloodwork results

Darcy S.
on 2/8/12 9:58 pm - Clinton, CT
Kelly or others...I just got my first bloodwork results back....looks good except... What is B/Cr ratio..mine is 32.5 Hi..range should be 6.0-23. What does that mean...what am I doing wrong?...also ALT 59 high range 7-40

Can you help me interpret these numbers...my spots a week away.

Thanks so much! This site & all of you are amazing!

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

aesposito
on 2/8/12 10:24 pm
As long as your BUN reading is normal and creatinine reading is low to normal, generally you don't have to worry about the ratio.  The ratio is easily skewed.  Or if you are older your baseline could be higher naturally (I don't know your age, sorry).  Otherwise it might be kidney issues... but if your doctor is not concerned, I wouldn't necessarily be concerned... ask him/her if you are.

Not so sure about ALT... something to do with liver enzymes I think, which makes sense as many of us have elevated enzymes from high cholesterol... but again, not positive on that one.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

poet_kelly
on 2/9/12 12:47 am - OH
I agree with Audrey.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rbb825
on 2/9/12 1:21 pm - Suffern, NY
B/CR ratio is the ratio of your BUN and creatinine and and as long as your BUN and your creatinine are both normal, then you don't have to worry about it,  Most labs dont even run the ratio anymore unless one of them is abnormal.  A high BUN tends to mean you arent drinking enough and a low creatinine is from our high protein and the combination tends to make the ratio high.  Unless your BUN is really high and your creatinine is high meaning a kidney problem, you don't have to worry.

A high ALT is a liver function test - what about your AST? They usually go together.  We tend to have high liver function tests both preop and during the first year while we are in the rapid weight loss phase, after that they tend to go back to normal.  59 isn't that high, I was told by my gastro doctor that unless they go over 100 not to worry

Darcy S.
on 2/9/12 8:02 pm - Clinton, CT
Thanks so much...I do need to drink more!