In hospital before two months postop. I need options

maimeem71
on 2/11/12 12:44 am - ID
Well it started like a week before I ended up in the hospital. I was always feeling nauseous and it started to get to the point where eating was making me gag, but I never threw up. I went to see my docs pa and told her my problems and she gave me some nausea meds and scheduled me a egd the following Wednesday since I saw her on a Wednesday it would be a week before I would have that done. On top of all that I kept having a gunck in the back of my throat which I have to spit out all the time. After laying in bed and barely getting water down on Thursday and Friday I felt like crap and was not sure I could wait till Wednesday. Saturday the on call doc told me to go to the hospital. Well I had a week stay there. The weekend they kept me hydrated and had a egd done Sunday my stomach was inflamed and instead of my stomach being a 12 it was sized at a 10. I had nothing by mouth for three days which was ok because It still made me nauseous even to swab my mouth but I also had nausea meds going into my iv. They ran more test gallbladder was sluggy but doc said that was fine, no ulcers, negative on my pylori test BUT I was deficient with the vitamin B-1 (Thiamine). They gave me that Monday night thru IV and my nausea went away.
I still don't feel tip top shape but I feel a little better. Anyone have a similar experience? If so please share. I don't know my body anymore.
For My Roses Forever and Always

flyingwoman
on 2/11/12 1:04 am
I don't have any wisdom to offer, as i never experienced anything like that, but thought i would offer you strength and hope that your team figures this out for you soon.

Best,
~Mo

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
maimeem71
on 2/11/12 2:06 am - ID
Thank you, I need it.
RNYgirl2020
on 2/11/12 1:15 am
So sorry to hear you are having so many difficulties . Totally understand about your B1 level. Not quite sure what you mean about your stomach being a 10 instead of a 12...do you mean you have a stricture?

After four days post op I was having issues with being dizziness and nausea. I went in for three days of outpatient IV fluids. They also ran a few labs. They told me all was well. I still was having difficulties with dizziness and nausea though.....at my 3 week post op visit I asked to look at my lab values from the time I was getting IV fluids. The office knows I'm an RN and reviewed my labs before giving me the print out  and apologized for overlooking a low Thiamine level. . I was so upset but at the same time so glad to know what was wrong with me. I went in for three B1 injections and have been taken B1 (100mg) oral vitamins..and let me tell within a week my levels tripled. My surgeon wants me to take the B1 orally for 3 months....and let me tell you I feel so much better!
Stay strong...you'll get better.
maimeem71
on 2/11/12 2:08 am - ID

Yeah it was a stricture, they didn't schedule me for another egd so I guess it is not a problem. Sucks how the vitamin thing can get you so down. I take B1 oral now. It's not bad I got it from the health store. I still don't feel 100 percent, I hate to say it but I have felt down since the surgery.

rbb825
on 2/11/12 3:51 pm - Suffern, NY
How much B1 are you taking?  When I was diagnosed with a B1 defiency I was told to take 300mg per day and have been taking that dose ever since and that was 2 years ago.  B1 deficiency is nothing to fool around with, it can lead to nerve damage and cognitive problems just like B12 deficiency and sometimes it can be even worse.  I have seen people hospitalized and lose the ability to walk, speak and think due to B1 deficiency so if they have you on low dose, please get a higher dose.  A high level of B1 can't hurt you - you just pee out the excess but a low dose, can destroy you

rbb825
on 2/11/12 3:59 pm - Suffern, NY
If you have a B1 deficiency taking 100mg per day for 3 months isn't nearly enough.  100mg per day for life is the standard dose for everyone to maintain a normal B1 to prevent a B1 deficiency and that is probably why you got the deficiency in the first place because you werent' on any.  Once you get the deficiency, you are supposed to take 300mg per day - either 100mg 3 times per day or 300mg in one dose daily indefinitely.  I have been taking this dose for the past 2 years.  Sometimes my levels go a little high but that is fine.  We want our B1 to be at the top end or high, just like B12, we pee out the excess but being low, causes nerve damage, cognitive damage - it is dangerous.  I have seen people on these boards hospitalized with B1 deficiency that couldnt' walk, talk, think - it was bad.

Please get yourself a higher dose B1 or just take 3 of them at a time.  You will feel much better  - I don't know if you have any numbness or tingling in your extremities but if you do -it is a sign of nerve damage but either B1 or B12 deficiency or both,  Very often peope get both at the same time.

maimeem71
on 2/12/12 12:20 am - ID
They have me taking 100mg per day. That's what my surgeon prescribed me. It's scary.
rbb825
on 2/13/12 11:18 am - Suffern, NY
do yourself a favor = unforanately most surgeons had one nutrition class in medical school like 20 years ago and some more like 30 years and remember very litte and were taught very little about supplementation needed for Weight loss surgery.  Every gastric bypass sugery patient should be taking 100mg of vitamin B1 from Day 1 or they risk getting vitamin B1 deficiency and vitamin B1 deficiency is very dangerous - can cause nerve damage which can become permanent if left too long, it can cause to loose your ability to walk, it affects your cognitive thinking - so it affects your ability to think and speak.  People with severe B1 deficiency have been diagnosed with alzeimers not realizing it was just a vitamin deficiency.

Once you have the deficiency, you need to treat and not with tiny doses - you need to take 300mg daily and from what my NUT said it is forever.  I have taken it at that dose for 2 1/2 years - my level got a little high but she said that is okay because if I go back to the 100mg dose, it will go low again, so I am better off with the 300mg and staying a little high.  If I want I could cut to 5 days per week but it is easier to remember to take it everyday.  You just pee out any excess but not having enough is detrimental just like vitamin B12.  Both cause nerve damage which can become permanent.

So, do your self a favor, either take the 100mg tablets 3 times per day or go to GNC (the only place I could find it) and get a 300mg tablet and take it once per day.  IT will really benefit you

tygercub82
on 2/11/12 1:30 am - TX
RNY on 01/13/12 with
I understand totally. Im 1 month post op and just had a stay in the hospital from sunday- wednesday. My B1 was fine but my potassium was low. I was given so many fluids through the IV that i gained like 15lbs. got all of it but 9 off so far. I have a drs appt today so we'll see what he has to say. but I feel you. I too was having problems with nausea and gagging but not throwing up.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views