fluctuating white blood count after rny surgery

tipa
on 2/11/12 4:48 am
 hello i am 17 months out from RNY and i am 33 years old... since i had rny i have been having fluctuating white blood cell counts,, has any one else had this problem!?

CarolBeth
on 2/11/12 5:38 am - SoCal, CA
I am  7 months out, and my white blood count (and absolue neutrophils) has been consistently dropping.  It was down to 2.8, and all my docs decided to wait one more blood test (April) before sending me to a hematologist.  My bariatric dr said it's very common for WBC to drop after surgery, but not as much as mine.  It turns out I went to the dentist last week, and she found a really bad abcess.  I had no symptoms.  She removed the infection, and I've been on antibiotics.  I'm hoping that's what caused the big drop.  Anyway, have you talked to your dr about your WBC?  Do they have any ideas?  Could you have an unknown infection that is wearing on your immune system?  I hope they find out what is causing it.  Keep us posted.
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

tipa
on 2/11/12 5:54 am
 thanks for the reply,,,, yes i have talked to my docs,,, and they sent me for an HIV est to becasue thats a main symptom,,, but all came back negative. so now they are going to send me to a hemo specailist too.... mine was also 2.7 very low,,, but when they rechecked it it was up to normal ... but every time i go get blood checked ... it goes up and down... so i dont know... i wll keep yoiu all uodated!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 387 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 312 views