roux en y revision to vsg???

natalie37
on 2/12/12 5:14 am - Advance, NC
Revision on 03/28/12
Hi!  I am almost 6 yrs out from rny.  for 4 yrs I have battled blood sugar drops 1-2 hrs. after eating- very severe drops
Natalie
Ladytazz
on 2/12/12 5:30 am
From what I understand they can revise you to a VSG but it takes a very experienced surgeon to put the pouch back together and make it into a sleeve.  It sounds like your life would be much improved if you got your pyloric valve back into action.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

dasie
on 2/12/12 6:58 am
Are you under the care of an experienced endocrinologist who deals with this issue?

natalie37
on 2/13/12 8:20 am - Advance, NC
Revision on 03/28/12
I've seen 3 endocrines and tried and "failed" a list of meds including acarbose.  At this point, all of them recommend a revision.  Problem is no one in my area (NC) has much experience with a revision for hypoglycemia.
dasie
on 2/13/12 5:36 pm

Have any of them mentioned the procedure where they remove a portion of the pancreas to treat this?  Of the patients my endocrinologist treats, several have RH so severe they have had that procedure were they take a portion of the pancreas?

I am sorry you are having this issue.  I can't imagine how difficult it must be.  I hope you find the right solution soon.

natalie37
on 2/14/12 8:10 am - Advance, NC
Revision on 03/28/12
Thanks! 
The endocrines and bariatric surgeons I have seen say the partial pancreas removal should be an absolute last resort. One surgeon said he knew of some patients who had this done and it still didn't resolve the issue!!  More surgeons are recommending the revision vs. pancreatectomy now I think from what I've been told.
dasie
on 2/14/12 8:15 pm
That is good to know.  Severe RH would be very difficult to live with.  Maybe the surgeons can work on perfecting these conversions.