OT, Kelly, please laundry soap receipe again??

grmadeb01
on 2/12/12 11:04 pm - FL
Kelly can you give us your recipe again...and how is it going with using it?

thanks in advance
debby
poet_kelly
on 2/12/12 11:37 pm - OH
It's going just fine.  This one bucket is going to last me forever!  My clothes look and smell nice and clean.

OK, you need a five gallon bucket with a lid, one bar of Fels-Naptha laundry soap (I've been told you can use other kinds of soap but this works best - I found it in the aisle with all the other bar soaps at Meijer), one cup borax and one cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (I found both of those next to the laundry detergent at Meijer - make sure you're getting washing soda, not Arm and Hammer laundry detergent).

Chop up the Fels-Naptha soap into kinda of small pieces.  Fill up a big pot with water and bring it to a boil.  Then put the pieces of soap in the water and stir from time to time until the soap is all dissolved.

When the soap is all dissolved, pour the soapy water into your five gallon bucket and add the washing soda and borax.  Stir it really good.  Then just add hot tap water until the bucket is full, stirring along the way.

You'll end up with what looks like a goopy mess.  It will take a while to cool, so just stir it occasionally until it's cool, then stick the lid on the bucket.  If you want, you can add essential oil to it so it smells nice.  I put about 15 drops of eucalyptus essential oil in mine.  While it was still warm, the soap smell was really overpowering (it was a good, clean kind of smell) and i couldn't smell the eucaplyptus much but after the liquid cooled off I could smell it more.

I use about one cup for a full load of laundry, less for a small load.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

msromagnola
on 2/13/12 2:46 am
Kelly - I make my own detergent too and have for a while.  I had some trouble getting the grated/chopped soap to melt down all of the way and from time to time found dried pieces of soap on my clothes. 

I've started a different process and wanted to share with you.  First, I save soap scraps and use those when I have them.  Then, I started putting the scraps in a bowl of water to soften them.  When I make the detergent, I pour the whole bowl of soaked soap and water in the blender.  No more small pieces of soap on my clothes.

This thing saves me a lot of money.

MSROMAGNOLA
poet_kelly
on 2/13/12 2:50 am - OH
Hmm.  I'll keep that in mind.  Maybe the Fels-Naptha laundry soap melts better than some bath soaps?  Mine melted just fine and so far I have not had any dried pieces of soap in my clothes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AddisynsMommy
on 2/13/12 12:34 pm - FL
 I ALWAYS use a grater and grate my soap down =) and make sure i am adding the grated soap to the boiling water. I LOVE making my own soap saves me $$

Most Active
Recent Topics