Bought a home scale and totally regretting it.

BrennaRawks
on 2/14/12 6:57 am - CT
RNY on 10/03/12
I bought a scale today because I've gotta drop 40lbs before they'll consider me safer for surgery. I feel like crying. It's rated up to 380lbs, and I'm apparently over that limit. Last month in my surgeon's office I was 347lbs. I have no idea how I've put on 40+lbs! I've been getting out and exercising, and eating much less. I'm praying it's just an unreliable scale. I mean, if I had put on that kinda weight, wouldn't I feel it in the fit of my clothes or something? Does anyone know how accurate home scales are for a high weight person like myself?
poet_kelly
on 2/14/12 7:02 am - OH
It does seem unlikely that you would have gained more than 30 pounds in just one month, plus yeah, your clothes should be real tight if you gained that much (unless your clothes were super big and baggy before).  Can you return the scale?  What about stopping by your surgeon's office or PCP's office once a week or so to weigh in?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BrennaRawks
on 2/14/12 7:08 am - CT
RNY on 10/03/12
I imagine returning it wouldn't be too hard. Got it at Walmart. I think I will call and see if I can get weighed in the office. My husband keeps telling me to not panic about it right now, but it's hard, ya know?
seattledeb
on 2/14/12 8:40 am
 There is no scale at walmart that will be accurate at that weight. I know..I used to weigh 380!
I bought an expensive scale that was used to measure boxes for postage. 
Once you get below around 280 those walmart scales will work.
I think for now you should just weigh at your doctors unless you want to spend a lot of money for a scale.
Deb T

Hattie T.
on 2/14/12 8:47 am - Denver, CO
Take the scale back for a refund.  I have found that if you are any where near the scales limit, it won't register.  Instead you get an error.  This happened to me when I was about 380 and was using a 400 scale.  I finally got a scale from Amazon and I love it because it talks to me.

Hattie
Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190      
BrennaRawks
on 2/14/12 8:55 am - CT
RNY on 10/03/12
Well, I can file this under "I feel like an idiot". I had my hubby and our kids try it out. Worked fine for them. Then I realized everyone else was barefoot, and I was in socks. Apparently, this digital scale needs you to be barefoot.
sweetsweetmama
on 2/14/12 10:01 am - Canada
Did you finally get an accurate weigh in?
Most Active
Recent Topics