Full of sh*t

jmelyn1977
on 2/18/12 4:23 am
Had a CT done on Friday due to having right upper quadrant pain for months. Not dying pain. Just a dull ache that would come and go. Decided it wasn't normal and thought I'd get it checked out.

Anyway, found 2 things - both areas of the transverse colon are moderately full of **** . So the NP told me to drink some MOM over the weekend to get things moving. I use MOM off and on pretty regularly and it doesn't do a whole lot for me.... SO .....
I went to the pharmacy and bought a bottle of Liquid Cherry Magnesium Citrate. I'm half way thru the bottle.... Nothin happening so far.
But the reason for the post is -
Has anyone else used this stuff? Is it ok??? (I hope, now that I have 1/2 the bottle gone).

They also found a 2"x1" cyst on one of my ovaries... Let's hope that all goes well.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!
~Jamie~

kittehkitteh27
on 2/18/12 4:43 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
Well for me, getting about halfway through my grocery shopping is a pretty good laxative for me. Always have to finish my shopping trip walking like I'm trying to hold a quarter in between my butt cheeks.

Since I don't have to go grocery shopping as much post-op, I've been doing the miralax thing and it seems to get me going in a couple of days.

Hope its smooth sailing for you soon.

~Kitteh~   Start 363 / Surgery 346 / Current 204.1 / Goal 150

jmelyn1977
on 2/18/12 4:47 am
Thanks for the laugh KittehKitteh!!!
I would have a LOT more money if I had that problem!!!!
Too bad that doesnt work for me!!!
kittehkitteh27
on 2/18/12 8:43 am - Zebulon, NC
RNY on 01/18/12 with
Just got home from the grocery store and guess what? Yup. First poop in two days. I'm telling you.. my body KNOWS! lol

~Kitteh~   Start 363 / Surgery 346 / Current 204.1 / Goal 150

Dee.spunk
on 2/18/12 5:16 am - Sacramento, CA
I use the magnesium citrate every day. But if youre already constipated it may take a while for it to kick in. Prevention is *******so drink benefiber daily

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

rbb825
on 2/18/12 4:30 pm - Suffern, NY
are you talking about magnesium citrate pills or the liquid?  if you are taking the liquid magnesium citrate every day, you need to talk to your doctor becaaus that is a dangerous laxitive to be taking everyday.  It is used as a prep for colonscopies and sigmoidscopies.  Some of us use it if we are severely constipated for a one time treatment but daily is really dangerous.

There are magnesium citrate pills which is totally different that helps you absorb your calcium better and increase your mag levels if needed.

datorres
on 2/18/12 6:43 am
How much MOM are you taking? I used to take the recommende 4 Table spoons but then I think my body adjusted to that, so now I take a double dose and it does the job.
jmelyn1977
on 2/18/12 7:08 am
I don't take anything regularly. Apparently I need to start. Do you take MOM everyday?

Ok2BHuman
on 2/18/12 8:05 am - Red Wing, MN
RNY on 01/24/12
Jamie-

You just have to find what works for you and your sonstipation issues. Here's the deal. If you find nothing else that works? I will send you a picture of me naked. You will poop my friend!

I wish you the best with your cysts and I really hope everything works out for the best. 

Hugs!

Christine 
ChristineB
on 2/18/12 9:07 am, edited 2/18/12 9:08 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
In mid January I ended up in the hospital with what my gastroenotrologist determined as a blockage even though it did not show up on any of the tests. My surgeon suggested at the FU appt in his office that I was dealing with constipation for years (before RNY & after). I asked him how could that be because I have colitis and most of the time I have nasty urgency (you can figure it out). He suggested MOM once a week - I figured it was worth a try and it works. It keeps me regular and the urgency is gone, gone, gone. The urgency was due to the fact that only water could get around the "massed" area so therefore the urgency.

I would recommend MOM because it does not have the cramping that might go with the other "clean out" OTC meds. It might take a little while for your body to adjust to what you have taken and it may react faster in the future once you are more regular. You might need a little more of it than the 4T. Touch base with your doc.

ps I have used the mag citrate when having a colonoscopy and it would work real fast on me. It might take longer because of your buildup in the colon.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140