Kelly, what do you suggest with my B-12

grmadeb01
on 2/19/12 6:44 am - FL
ok, back in september i had gotten my labs done...my b-12 was 352, i started taking b-12 dots under my tongue..i started out with just 1 pill a day and worked my way up to 4 pills a day for a total of 2000 mcg a day...well i got another bottle of b-12, in fact 2 bottles as i was getting low..well i went to open it today...and its 5000 iu a day in one dot under my tongue....
so do i take that much a day...or cut back, i get my labs done in april...i have lab list already..my surgeon does them ever 6 months...april 4th i will be 1 year post op...

i have been taking vita lady tender d3 and its 5000 in each pill..i was taking 4 of them  a day, but have backed off to 2 a day...my D was  back in sepembter...

i am anxious to see what my labs will be wiht the next set of labs...my PCM and my surgeon both said my leves for b-12 and D were fine, my chiro was the one that finally agreed with me after i did my own research and from you...so thank you...my iron was on the low end of the normal range and chiro suggested i get the Heme iron since it is less constipating..so that is what i have been taking also....just need to be more delgielent about my iron...

thanks for your advice
debby
poet_kelly
on 2/19/12 7:10 am - OH
I'd just take those B12 dots a couple times a week.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DisneyLover
on 2/19/12 7:52 am - WI
at my 6 month labs my B12 was 300 something.  I started to do the 5000 B12 every other day and I was over 2000 on my 12 month labs.  I could tell a difference when it was low to when it was normal.

Good luck!

Sarah

texan gal
on 2/19/12 8:35 am
RNY on 02/29/12
Sorry for this question....  what's the appropriate range for B-12?

poet_kelly
on 2/19/12 9:04 am - OH
Depends on who you ask, really.  But research shows that below 550, people get tired and depressed.  Below 400, you can get permanent nerve damage in your hands and feet.  Lab reports usually list the reference range as 211-911 or something like that, but that is NOT the range needed for optimal health.  The reference range is just the average that lab found when testing a random group of people.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rbb825
on 2/19/12 1:32 pm, edited 2/19/12 1:33 am - Suffern, NY
You had labs done in September and now you have to weight until April to see if what you are taking is working? Something is wrong there. = that is 7 months.

352 was dangerously and at risk for nerve damage. We want our levels to be up around 1200-1800, the higher the better for your energy level and for nerve protection, if they are low like they were, you are at risk for nerve damage. Unfortunately, labs list the normal range as 200-900 but if you go to other parts of the world, they start at 500 and that makes much more sense. We malabsorb very quickly. I was up at 1800 about 3 weeks ago and wasn't feeling well and forgot my injections for 2 weeks (I do them 3 times per week) and after 2 weeks with no injections, I plummeted from 1800 to 700 and that is in the crapper for me. I need to be atleast 1500 for me to feel okay.

So, I am glad that you went onto 2000 mcg daily, although with a level of 352, you probably needed much more for a short term to get it up quickly. WHen I was at 400 a couple of years ago, my surgeon had me do injections daily for a week to get my levels up and then go back to normal dosage. SO, with your level, 2000 units was a pretty low dose, I would have recommended the 5000 mcg for several weeks at first and then going to 2500mcg daily. I don't like that you went 6 or 7 months without knowing what your levels are. Have you had any tingling or numbness at any point in your hands, feet, fingers or toes? This is a sign of nerve damage and if you take a high enough dose for a long ernough period of time quickly you can reverse it - if you let it go too long, it can be permanent but I am sure with the dosages you were taking you reversed anything

There is no danger in taking the higher dose of B12 but it will give you a pretty high level if you take it for the next 6 weeks provided the 2000 mcg did what it should have done. I would recommend taking the 5000mcg - every other day and then once you get your labs done, you can always adjust. I will forwarn you now, you wlll told that your B12 is too high, but ignore them unless it is over 2000 and then there is still no danger, you just pee out the excess. I try really hard to get a level of greater than 2000 but cant do it

WHy did you cut back on your D from 20,000 units per day to 10,000 units per day? The 20,000 units per day is like taking 50,000 units 3 times per week which is a good dose - my levels got a bit too high, so I now take 50,000 units 2 times per week which would be the same as 15,000 units per day. I really need to know your D level to advise you

Your iron should be pretty good with heme but not everyone needs to go that way. THey are extremely expensive to get proferrin. Tender irons from vitalady.com are easily absorbed, non-constipating, easy on the stomach and cheap. They have 400 capsules in the bottle. THey are 60mg capsules with 400mg of vitamin C (the proper combination) depending on your iron and ferritin levels - people take anywhere from 1 - 5 at a time, most common 2-3. I take 3-4 depending on my labs - they vary but they work great and fast.

I do wish you could get your labs before April and you should in the future talk to your PCP about testing certain levels after making a change when you were defcieint. YOu have no idea if what you changed is working - too well, not at all or okay. THis can be a problem and you could need to make further adjustemetns and waiting 6 months, things can get even worse or toxic if taking too much - only in certain items

Most Active
Recent Topics