OT Aura Migraines

Sunbunnyqt
on 2/20/12 12:02 am - FL
My SIL started experiencing horrible migraines just recently. This came on sudden and is very debilitating. He had to wait a month to see a neurologist who has him on Topomax. He says this drug is as debilitating as the migraines. He has had no problems with energy in the past. He hopes his neurologist can prescribe something that doesn't zap his energy.

This condition is very frightening with hallucinations and paralysis. He is in his 30's and has a 9 month old son.

Worried MIL

laura_vermont
on 2/20/12 12:09 am
Pre-op migraines were an issue for me.  I've only had a couple with full fledge aura since surgery.  I didn't try topamax - but have used it with my dd - on the epilepsy site, it was frequently referred to as dopamax due to the side effects.  It also impacts how things taste and appetite, so the dietary changes could be making things worse as far as his energy is concerned. 

I was fortunate that my migraines were controlled with a daily beta blocker and imitrex.  For me, the headaches weren't the worst part -- I get a lot of visual stuff and have language issues (from word finding problems to total loss of speech).  For me, the weight loss has really improved things, I don't even keep the meds in the house.

Hope your SIL can get things under control soon.

Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views