DM II

Sunshine1965
on 2/20/12 3:27 am
Well I have been back on insulin for about a month.  BS levels are improving but I have gained 4 pounds back.  The Endo says that this is just temporary.  To say the least I am discouraged.  I still need to loose at least 30 more pounds.  I am still walking twice a day and exercising.  Any other suggestions?  I read an article today about if you lose 5% of your body weight then you can come off all meds for DM.  I have lost a little over 100 and had to go back on!! I mean really, can't help but be discouraged.  My body is producing insulin.  Any other diabetics out there that have not been able to come off meds?

FleurDeLis
on 2/20/12 3:46 am
The article about losing 5% and coming off meds is wrong. Go re-read that and see if it didn't say possibly or probably. In a great many cases T2DM patiensts might eliminate or reduce medicine due to improved control but it is not a guarantee.

You are already on insulin. You either have type 1 or had a bad case of type 2. In that case, give it more time. You might yet go into complete remission. The longer you have had diabetes, and the more out of control it was, the longer this is going to take. Meanwhile, you just might get to keep your limbs and kidneys and eyesight and not die of a heart attack or a stroke due to the better control.
Sunshine1965
on 2/20/12 4:36 am
No it says just with the 5% weightloss.  I was a type 2 and my HA1C ran around 8-9%.  Thanks for the feedback :)

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/20/12 6:52 am
Some people pancreas does not make enough insulin... they need to be on it for life.
BTW: did you know that Halle Berry is type 2 diabetic? nothing to do with her weight...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-371528/Halle-Berry -My-battle-diabetes.html

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Paula R.
on 2/20/12 9:01 am - White House, TN
I was taking Lantus, metformin, and glimeperide prior to my surgery. The day after surgery, I was told to discontinue both oral meds and my Lantus was cut in half. I was over 7 months out before my PCP said I could stop the Lantus. That was just before Christmas, but my fasting blood sugar is still higher than it should be. I see the doctor again in March. I just hope my a1c is normal. Maybe he won't ask me to start any more meds. Please don't be discouraged. I've lost over 150 pounds and yes I still have to watch my blood sugar. Is insulin the only med that will keep your sugars normal? Diabetics have lots of options these days. I know how hard it is to lose weight with it. Talk to your endocrinologist about your options. Good luck.
Sunshine1965
on 2/20/12 7:04 pm
Thanks paula for responding!  I am also taking onglyza of the mornings.  Before surgery I was taking metformin, onglyza, regular insuling and lantus.  It is very hard to lose weight on insulin!  I go back in April so i am hoping for a much lower A1C.  It was 11.4 in January :(

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views