3 weeks out, 28 down and QUESTIONS!

JAADE
on 2/20/12 9:56 am
RNY on 01/31/12
I had my surgery 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I was in the hospital about 36 hours and have not stopped since. I have tried to listen to my body and rest when I need it but I have also been doing all my normal activities since about day 5. I feel good, but soooooo not hungry. Anyone else feeling like they are forcing the food down? It is impossible for right now to get in 3 shakes a day too. I am just not able to swallow it at some points.

How is journaling going of your foods/proteins/vitamins? Does anyone know of a good app for all of this that would work on my iphone to keep me on track?

Have you been to your 1 month check up? What does that involve?

Will the self pity ever go away? Why do I feel so sad saying goodbye to food? (I watched my family eat pizza last night while I ate cream of celery soup.)  ;)

Would love to hear from some other newbies how things are going for them. All in all I feel very good. I have not had any regrets but about day 3 for a bit, but other than that things have been really good and I am very grateful.

poet_kelly
on 2/20/12 10:11 am - OH
I'm guessing you feel sad because you are thinking that you are saying goodbye to food.  But you're really not.  I mean, unless you want to.  You won't always have to eat cream of celery soup while your family eats pizza.  You'll be able to eat pizza with them.  Only you'll just have one piece, or just eat the toppings off a piece or two.  You won't eat half a large pizza plus some breadsticks *** that's what I used to eat.  Followed by ice cream).

And I'm guessing there will be less self pity once you are able to eat a wider variety of foods and once you start seeing the results of your weight loss.  Sometimes I feel a little sorry for myself if everyone else is eating cake and I have to turn it down (because I dump on sugar) but mostly I just feel proud of myself for being able to turn it down and for having lost all this weight.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JAADE
on 2/22/12 2:10 am
RNY on 01/31/12
You put so much in perspective! Thank you Kelly! I ALWAYS appreciate your responses!
KerryJean
on 2/20/12 11:02 am - IN
What you are feeling is SO typical - we all went through that. I remember when i was still in the soft food stage and eating some cottage cheese - I was done in three bites and I felt so angry -- I wasn't done! I mean I wasn't done with the eating experience -- I wanted it to be longer.

The fact is now that I am almost two years out I can look back and admit I had a love affair with food. Now I look at it as nourishment and not entertainment.

You'll go through lots of feelings like that - it's part of the journey. And you will get your hunger pangs back -- and you will have that pizza again. (I eat only the toppings and throw away the crust)

So glad you are up and around! I did so poorly at recuperation I commend anyone who can bounce back like you have :)

JAADE
on 2/22/12 2:11 am
RNY on 01/31/12
Thank you. You know you can prepare yourself all you want for the surgery but until you do it--you have no idea! LOL! So comforting to know all this is normal.
Country_Girl_Annie
on 2/20/12 11:48 am
RNY on 01/30/12
My surgery was 3 weeks ago today, and I really relate to what you're going through. My big weakness is sweets, and it just drives me crazy when my hubby or daughter is enjoying a cookie or cupcake and I know I can't have one. That said, I've lost about 16 lbs so far, and it feels wonderful to fit back into the clothes I outgrew the last time I regained the weight I lost!!

It's been up and down but gradually getting better. The one thing I still struggle with is the protein drinks. I've tried several different powder and RTD brands, and they all make me feel bloated and queasy after I drink them. I try to drink very slowly, but it doesn't help.
HW 270  /  SW 256  / CW 212

JAADE
on 2/22/12 2:13 am
RNY on 01/31/12
Congrats to you girlie! I know, the protein is for sure the hardest. I think mine taste good but they make me feel gross after!
jpm3jpm3
on 2/20/12 12:05 pm - IN
 Congratulations to you and your new journey!  I had surgery on 1/6/11 with Dr. Inman who is in the same group as your surgeon.  In the beginning, I didn't want to eat and had a hard time getting my protein in.  I ate and pushed to get in as much protein as possible, as I wanted to ensure I remained healthy.  

I manually tracked my intake, rather than using an app.  Unfortunately, I don't have advice for you there.

As far as the 1 month check up.  It was simple. I met with dietician, she weighed me and we covered what I was eating and my protein/vitamin intake.  From there, I met with Dr. Inman to discuss my healing and if I had any issues with incisions.

Don't worry about the pity, it goes away.  I had it terrible for the first two weeks...I was in tears.  I would compare it to the "baby blues".  I am now able to enjoy pizza with my family.  I eat the toppings off of a few pieces and feel completely satisfied.  

Sounds like you are completely experiencing the norm for RNY patients.  Hang in there...it gets much better!  

JAADE
on 2/22/12 2:15 am
RNY on 01/31/12
Thank you for your response! Yes! Baby blues is such a great comparison. Are you in Indiana then or did you travel for Inman?

happy_baker
on 2/20/12 12:23 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
Hey there. I've got to cook for two little kids. They eat delicious stuff. Baked chicken, turkey dogs, spaghetti...the other night, I made them homemade pizzas, and tonight, they had a birthday party at a burger place. Omg. 

My mouth has watered more than once, I won't lie. I've almost taken bites, I admit. 

BUT, two thoughts go through my head when those mouth-tinglie****

1) These are the foods that got me fat in the first place. I got this surgery specifically because I feel I've had my share of those foods. I've eaten enough of those things to feed three of me. And I weigh what I do now because of that. So maybe it's time for a break from those delicious but not-quite-what-I-need things. 

2) It's NOT goodbye. I know successful bypassers who eat cheeseburgers and pizza. Who drink alcohol and enjoy chili dogs at ballgames. You WILL eventually be able to eat your favorite foods again, but you will have learned by then how to do it in small portions and moderation. This is the honeymoon period where we take a break from those things to break habits, cleanse addictions, and remove those cravings. This is the time to start thinking not about what you CAN'T have, but what you're doing to improve your life. Embrace it and enjoy it, and remember, pizza isn't going anywhere. When your body is ready for it again, it'll be waiting. 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views