Breakfast Ideas Needed

nkara
on 2/22/12 12:44 pm
 I'm finally going back to work on Saturday....(I'll also be going back to working 7 days a week ) my surgeon kept me out of work the full 8 weeks because I'm a CNA.   So I am in need of a few road friendly breakfast ideas.  Post band surgery I could only tolerate protein shakes in the morning so I would make one every morning and drink it on the way to work.  My commute is about 45 minutes.   Now I can not tolerate shakes they make me nauseous and I can't bring a bowl of food to eat on the way so I need some other suggestions other than getting up an hour earlier to eat breakfast before I leave the house. 

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

terriphillips417
on 2/22/12 12:47 pm - Graham, WA
I make little quiches in a mini muffin pan.  I use egg whites and cheese and spinich, sometimes ham too.  I can freeze a bag of them. and take a few at a time.

poet_kelly
on 2/22/12 12:50 pm - OH
Protein bars, protein coffee (does that work better than shakes for you?), string cheese, cup of yogurt (can you eat that while you drive?  I could), hard boiled egg, sliced deli meat, cheese cubes and sliced fruit.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

happy_baker
on 2/22/12 12:58 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
You mention a commute. Do you take a train or do you drive? Makes a difference in how you can eat.

Other than terriphillips and poet kelly's suggestions...hm.

You could make turkey roll-ups--deli turkey with a panfried egg and a slice of cheese inside, all rolled up and eaten like a burrito.

Frankly, I like the idea of just packing a breakfast box the night before, filling it with protein rich finger foods, sitting it on your passenger seat, and picking as you drive.
Kat Kat
on 2/22/12 1:14 pm - AZ

You asked for travel foods because you don't have a lot of time in the morning, but an OH sister gave me this recipe, and I love it for a quick morning meal.

*Spray  the inside of a coffee cup with butter flavored cooking spray.
* Add 1/2 cup of egg beaters.
*Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
*Stir with a fork.
*Microwave for 30 more seconds you might need to adjust this time to suit your microwave).
I add salsa and/or cheese. ( You can add ham, or anything that suits your taste as well).

It stays with me a long time, and once my 30 minute wait time is up, I enjoy a nice cup of coffee on my drive.

nkara
on 2/22/12 1:29 pm
 thank you so much I never thought of any of these suggestions.   Yes I am driving for my commute.  
I'm making a shopping list for myself.  
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

missjann
on 2/22/12 4:40 pm, edited 2/23/12 4:40 am
All are awesome ideas. You can also do string cheese or a skinny bagel
with cream cheese or lunchmeat or egg salad on it, apple slices with
peanut butter, or mini protein muffins you can make on days off.
I mix rolled oats or instant oatmeal with heart healthy bisquick, egg,
no-sugar added applesauce, protein powder and a splash of milk
or soy and bake in mini (or regular) muffin tins. Add any fruit (banana,
apple, blueberries) or cinnamon or peanut butter and you've got yummy
protein muffins. You can even "frost" them with cream cheese with a bit
of sweetener and protein powder added. Delish!
    Jan

Reel
on 2/22/12 6:25 pm, edited 2/22/12 6:26 pm
 Not sure about how serious your plan is in regards to cutting out white carbs, but perhaps make a small breakfast burrito with salsa and cheese and a lil lunch meat.  They sell the small little burrito flat jacks in the bread section.
Darcy S.
on 2/22/12 8:25 pm - Clinton, CT
I also am a runner in the am. I have a decaf ice coffee a a scoop of vanilla protein powder in the am on my way to work. I bring a scoop into cumberland farms and stir it right there.

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG