"How much have you lost"

rsassyjackie
on 2/26/12 12:29 pm - MA
 Luv it! Will be borrowing that comment!!!

wendydettmer
on 2/26/12 10:30 am - Rochester, NY
I get asked that question a lot and I don't' mind one bit. Given what I do for a living (run a childcare center, and deal with over 50 parents a day, plus my staff), there are a lot of people who i see all the time who are bound to notice a difference. I take it as a compliment. It was no secret that I was obese, and it's no secret that i'm losing weight.

It's not that I shout it from the roof tops, but I don't mind answering either. Everyone is very excited about my journey.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

lillypond...
on 2/26/12 10:55 am
yea I know what you mean. I usually tell people when they ask me how much weight have I lost. I tell them when I got to 100 pounds I stop counting and just continue to eat healthy and exercise. I take it one day at a time. They usually say I heard that, that is good ( I have lost 175 pounds)
ToBeAble
on 2/26/12 11:11 am
I've always wanted to respond to that question with "Well...How much do YOU weigh?" I figure that'd either throw them off balance, and they'd realize it's not personal information they want to share about themselves, or if they DO answer, I can usually honestly say, "about that much".

Laura

RNY 7/30/10  SW 302/CW ~150/First Goal 155 (reached 9/2011)
Extended TT & Medial Thigh Lift 7/16/12.  Arms, Butt Lift 2/6/13. 

Ladytazz
on 2/26/12 11:48 am
I just say "Too much" because it's true and I can tell that is what they are thinking.
I've been getting a lot of doctor's and nurses asking this.  I feel like saying "You got my records there, do the math" but I just ask if they mean since my revision or since my highest weight since they are two different numbers.  If it's since my revision it's about 120 lbs and if it's from my highest weight then it's 140 lbs.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

aseg21
on 2/26/12 12:27 pm - Miami, FL
I've responded, "210 lbs when I got divorced and a few more in the last few years"...
I've also responded with "a fair amount" or "gosh, I really try not to focus on the numbers".. I've also been completely honest. It really depends who, when and where I'm asked. If I don't feel like disclosing that I used to be 220 lbs heavier, I don't. I've only had to be rude about it a few times. I've had a couple people really push and ask how much I've lost and what I weigh now etc and at that point, I pointedly ask them how much they weigh. Usually that stops the conversation cold.

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

MNJourney
on 2/26/12 1:39 pm
I've been fortunate enough that I've only had a few people ask me how much I've lost. To those I just say something like "not enough" and then change the subject. I've only had one person get really annoyed when she persisted in asking and I finally said "that's kind of personal". I didn't care that she was mad, actually I think she was more embarrassed because she knew it was inappropriate. I work at a College(School of Nursing) and most my colleges are masters or doctorally prepared nurses and KNOW appropriate boundaries.

I actually had one come up to me te other day and ask how my health was and stated "I never did hear what you were out for" to which I replied "I'm fine, thank you" and changed te subject.

HW:317 SW:255 CW:147

Cathrine J.
on 2/26/12 3:24 pm - Victoria, Canada
RNY on 02/01/12
I'll be starting to deal with this question when I return to work this Thursday.  It will depend on who is asking with how I answer.  I don't want people doing the math to figure out how much I might have weighed before.  It's a bit embarrassing I let my weight get so out of hand. 

I've definitely thought about countering their question with 'how much do you weigh?' to see how comfortable they are in talking about their weight. 

I really appreciate you raising this topic as it's given me some ideas on how I might respond.  

HW 262, BMI 46.2 / SW 216, BMI 38.2 / CW 183 / GW 155
*45 lbs were lost pre-op.
5' 3 1/2"

Hattie T.
on 2/26/12 4:18 pm - Denver, CO
I am uncomfortable letting certain people know the amount of weight I've lost. I feel that the stigma society attaches to obese people is then attached to the now-smaller-me. Before knowing of my great accomplishment, people see ME and what I am doing in the NOW. But once my numbers are out of the closet, so to speak, I am thereafter thought of as "the woman who lost xxx pounds". I think that at that point, I am somewhat diminished in their eyes. And sometimes I do care what they think. (I don't know if I am explaining this clearly.)

Hattie
Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190      
martyreid77
on 2/26/12 8:24 pm - KY
People ask me all the time too. I have lost 110 pounds. I am 5 months out. I am proud to tell them.
    God is good!!!    
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 104 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 317 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 269 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 436 views