my family's response to my surgery

cegirl6
on 2/28/12 4:05 am, edited 2/28/12 4:13 am - Westminster, CA
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 Things that have been said to me by my sisters,mother and other family members when I informed to  them of my decision to undergo gastric bypass:

Medi-cal shouldn't cover this "elective surgery" 
Don't bring up the subject because it ****** people off that it is covered by medi cal
Put the fork down and run a lap
Enjoy being skinny for six months because you' ll just gain it all back
You better not get skinnier than me
You just want to be skinny like all your friends
We'll celebrate your birthday after your surgery so if you die, I don't have to buy you a present
You didn't try hard enough to lose the weight 
You're taking the easy way out
You better not be doing it so you can go out and "catch" a man
Enjoy all your hanging skin

But regardless of what they all say, I'm doing it..  I don't need their approval and I will not listen or react to their comments anymore.... I know I'm making the right decision for me.  I am so grateful for everyone on this website and the weekly support group I attend.. They are my support system and I am so thankful for that

HouptMom
on 2/28/12 4:15 am - PA
 Good for you having the surgery!  Congratulations on choosing a wonderful journey for health and wellness.  I am 45 years old and have a wonderful supportive husband who is doing all of this right along beside me.  Our parents were concerning for us to share all this info, because my mother in law (who is a nice woman) made the comment in the past about the surgery ---it is the "easy" way out and that the surgery is "cheating".  Of course I think that is totally incorrect and I think it is fabulous that we have this choice nowadays to get better and healthier!  As far as the Medical thing....how ridiculous that people think it is awful to cover this surgery.  Medical, medical assistance and medicare are provided in this country and in various forms in all 50 states to help people be healthier.  If one would sit down and calculate the insurance costs over several years for blood pressure medication, diabetes care costs:  in the end the weight loss surgery is much more economical.  
Good wishes and good luck to you.  I just had my surgery on Feb. 9th and am very glad to have done so.  Hope the next month goes well as you prepare!!!

HW 267/SW 243/CW 177/ GW160

cegirl6
on 2/28/12 4:39 am - Westminster, CA
RNY on 03/12/12 with
Thank you so much for your inspiring words. I always feel like I need to justify why I'm on medi cal, even to my own family.. I lost my job when the company I worked for went bankrupt and closed on Christmas Eve... and  when I had their insurance (BCBS) I was denied wls,  I couldn't afford the COBRA payments and right now I am barely able to walk.. I'm fighting off having my right ankle fused due to a previous injury and then I tore my cartilage in my left knee and had surgery to repair it.... Did that by just walking when trying to lose weight lol.....Then I developed a blood clot in my leg after surgery ..and now they need to go back in my knee and remove the cartilage this time because the repair didnt work.

I just want to be able to walk normally, without pain..I know I'll always limp due to limited movement of my right  foot and ankle.... but to hopefully be pain free one day would be a blessing and my ortho said losing weight would help immensly.....I just want to get this done, go back to work and be able to walk!!!!

teffytmg
on 2/28/12 6:05 am - Canada
RNY on 02/15/12
I love the "Easy Way Out" comments.  I have gotten them too.  And at 2 weeks post op I am still waiting for the Easy part of all this.  Cutting ourselves open and having our insides majorly rerouted...  Very easy,  No solid food for a month and then the next upteen months relearning how to eat while trying to avoid dumping= SUPER EASY. Not to mention the emotional toll this takes on us.  Sometimes i want to shake people.

Good for you.  You are doing what is best for YOU and everyone else can just learn to deal with it.  On my blog, when I post stuff like this that may cause people to comment such as your family has, I always add a disclaimer to the top... THIS IS NOT THE PLACE OR THE TIME FOR NEGATIVE COMMENTS AND CRITISM. IF YOU DISAGREE SO STRONGLY WITH MY POINT OF VIEW AND CAN'T HOLD YOUR TONGUE, THERE IS A "NEXT BLOG" BUTTON IN THE UPPER LEFT CORNER.... USE IT!

Sur wt 225 lbs.1st Goal 190 Lbs,2nd Goal 175 Lbs,3rd Goal 150 lbs. BIG GOAL 125 Lbs at a loss of 100 lbs!!!!!                
InkdSpEdTchr
on 2/28/12 4:29 am
Yeah, I didn't have any support either- in fact I had an active saboteur in my life, but I did it anyway and I'm SOOOO glad I did.

You sound like a bright and strong woman, your resolve is admirable!

:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

MikesJulie
on 2/28/12 4:31 am - MA
RNY on 02/07/12
i am so sorry you had to hear all that negative BULLSH*T.. That was so uncalled for.  That is the reason i didnt tell many people at all...i didnt want to hear their negative comments.  

Congratulations for making a very difficult decision to make yourself healthier.  Enjoy the ride..its been 3 weeks for me and it is very interesting and exciting

We are all here for you if you need to chat...

Best Wishes to You

Julie
 (HW) 246 (Pre op weight loss) 9lbs (Surgery weight) 237  (1mo) 19lbs
Cindi J.
on 2/28/12 4:32 am - Tyler, TX
RNY on 04/09/12
 I am sorry for you lack of support.  It makes me feel blessed that everyone that I have told of my upcoming surgery has been very positive.

Nycm
on 2/28/12 4:39 am
RNY on 02/21/12 with
Why can't people just be supportive? Sorry you r dealing with this. Stay strong and be positive.

Christine

cegirl6
on 2/28/12 4:41 am - Westminster, CA
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 Thank you all...this site is so supportive and I'm glad I found it :)

HouptMom
on 2/28/12 4:47 am - PA
 Just another thought or two on medical assistance.  When people work and have taxes and social security taken off their paychecks they not only deserve medical assistance, they have earned it!  This country of ours thinks nothing of actors and sports people earning millions for entertaining us, but people get judged or frowned upon for medical assistance.  Thank God above for medical assistance.  Many people work and can't afford insurance.  I work in healthcare and I think medical assistance and things like that are fabulous!!!
Good Luck to all!!!

HW 267/SW 243/CW 177/ GW160

Most Active
Recent Topics