Starting crosstraining

kcooley11
on 2/29/12 9:08 am - CA
 I had RNY on 12-5-11, have lost 60lbs and am feeling pretty good. My surgeon gave me the ok to start weight traing again about a month ago. I've been doing the eliptical x45min burning about 500 cal & the resistance training but I felt my calories were/are not enough to support the cardio I was doing. I decided to sign up w/a personal trainer and do some Crosstraining x30min 3x/wk. I spoke w/the fitness director yesterday and I really had to refocus her b/c of my surgery, she was telling me that the more I work out, the more I can eat! I'm going to be meeting w/my actual trainer later this week and plan to take a picture of RNY to him. Does anyone know any trainers in the San Jose/Gilroy area that specialize in post wt-loss surgery patients? Are there limits as to how much I should be doing? I don't want to be burning muscle since I'm only clearing about 1000cal/day.

LJ1972
on 2/29/12 10:57 am, edited 2/28/12 10:57 pm - FL
I work out with a trainer 2x a week for an hour each session. As a rule I average 1100 calories a day. I am heavier than you so my resting metabolic may be higher and allow more calories. My NUT says the main thing is that if I DO feel hunger after a tough workout, that I eat protein and good carbs (veggies, fruits, last resort whole grains). If I eat after a workout I usually just do some turkey pepperoni and cheese, or peanut butter whole wheat toast (actually P28 bread).
iowa_missie74
on 2/29/12 11:30 am - IA
I don't know any trainers there, as I live in Iowa, lol...but I average 800-1000 cals a day and I work out 5 days a week. I go in the morning 3 times, in the evening I go 2 times. I do the eliptical 3 miles...takes 40 min, I do a lot of intervals on that. I do the bike 5 miles in 30 minutes, I lift weights and walk. On the nights I do zumba and les mills body pump. I don't know that I'd worry so much about being able to eat more, just eat when you are hungry. Don't fall into the trap that you can eat more because you are working out. It's true you can, but sometimes you can justify eating something you shouldn't in your head, because you "worked out" I used to do that all the time before I had the surgery. Awesome that you are looking for a trainer. Someone that will make sure you are doing the right thing, the right way, plus be able to offer you support while being tough at the same time.

Most Active
Recent Topics