Can air and burping be ulcer related?

brown_eyed_girl_1981
on 3/1/12 9:47 pm
I've been taking Nexium since I had surgery in 2006, My surgeon started all his patients on it following surgery to help prevent ulcers. I had an appointment with my pcp a while back and she simply asked why I was taking it, and when I told her she said that was no reason to take it. She said it's only needed if it's used to treat an ulcer, and didn't put me in for a new prescription. So here I am this morning with a belly ache, full of air, I keep burping and I think it's because I haven't been taking the nexium daily due to not having enough, and now I've run out.  I really dislike my doctor :(
♥Pam♥
RNY  8/16/06  Starting weight 262 / Current weight 152
ORIGINAL GOAL 160/ NEW GOAL 140   
jrmfairbanks
on 3/1/12 9:50 pm - NC
My surgeon said that you need to be on it for a minimum of one year. I can tell you that if I skip a dose that I know it all day long. Just call your surgeon. I am sure they can call you in a new script.
brown_eyed_girl_1981
on 3/1/12 9:51 pm
My surgeon is no longer doing surgeries. I went to his page and it says he's retired. I had surgery in 2006. Currently working with my pain in the bum pcp to get a referal to someone local
♥Pam♥
lanagirl
on 3/1/12 9:58 pm
My GI Doc told me that Nexuim and Prilosec are almost identical and the only people *****ally need Nexium are the one with extensive damage to their esophogus due to acid reflux. It contains one ingredient that Prilosec doesn't have that promotes healing, but the basic ingredient that blocks acid production is the same. So I would suggest trying Prilosec over the counter and see if this helps, at least until you can get in to see a doc.

brown_eyed_girl_1981
on 3/1/12 11:05 pm, edited 3/1/12 11:08 pm
thank you, I'll pick up some prilosec today and see if that helps me out any.  It's very uncomfortable, almost like a burn sensation.  I have another appointment next week with the pcp, I'm going to push the issue with her big time. I've been trying hard with her to get a referal to a bariatric clinic in my area because she seems to have no clue when it comes to my rny.
♥Pam♥
dasie
on 3/1/12 10:43 pm
That happens to me when I eat too quickly, don't chew well or eat too much.

brown_eyed_girl_1981
on 3/1/12 11:04 pm
I have the burping without eating. 
♥Pam♥
H.A.L.A B.
on 3/2/12 1:52 am
I do... ulcer may casue infamation ...
I tried to get off PPI and everytime end up in pain 9even when getting off them very slowly) so now - I take them daily.  And even with that - I may get the ulcer anyway...  I got that in Janurary - most likely due to meds I had to take for infection.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Frances S.
on 3/2/12 2:01 am, edited 3/2/12 2:01 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 As far as I know you don't need to be taking Nexium only because you had RNY 6 years ago.  Some surgeons prescribe it for 6-12 months.  Incidentally, my surgeon doesn't prescribe acid reducers and I've never had a problem.  Do you have other risk factors for ulcers?  (smoking, taking nsaids)

Maybe you're swallowing air when you're drinking if the burping isn't isolated to eating.
rocky513
on 3/2/12 5:39 am - WI
Have you been check for H-Pylori?  I know that can cause a lot of gas and burping.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics