Ulcer?

littleskie
on 3/5/12 11:39 pm - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
For those who have had ulcers could you please tell me your symptoms?

What made you think you had one?

How did they diagnose and treat it?

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

jrobin14
on 3/6/12 12:36 am - Charlotte, NC
Well let me first say that I am the exception not the rule, but I found out I had an ulcer around 1 month out from surgery and they found it when they did the scope. I was not able to keep any food down so they did the EGD and found out I had an ulcer. No they put me on carafate and previcid but hat has not helped and now about six months later I am having a revision of the RNY being that they are going to cut out they part of the intestines with the ulcer and reroutee the rest to the pouch, but again I am the exception not the rule.

littleskie
on 3/6/12 12:54 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I am sorry to hear you are going thru such a huge experience with this. I'm hoping that they will get it all fixed for you.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

IrishIze
on 3/6/12 1:13 am - NJ
When I had my ulcer I couldn't keep anything down - even water was difficult. 
Irish......  

littleskie
on 3/6/12 2:01 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I'm sorry you went thru it. If you don't mind telling me what did they do to treat it. Also how was it diagnosed?

betis
on 3/6/12 5:42 am - MA
For me, it was the extreme pain at the bottom of my breastbone that went straight through to my back, I got one day after drinking a protein shake; I went to the ER and was told to take 2 antacids and eat normally.
The next day I got the same pain from water and went back, was admitted and finally diagnosed with an ulcer.
Doctor put me on the 2 antacids, carafate 3x a day and am now (4 weeks later) just getting back to eating normally.
owlisn
on 3/6/12 9:11 am - NC
 I thought I was having hunger pains...like I was starving, even after eating.  When I would eat, it would not stay down long though.  MD put me on Carafate and put me back on Protonix.  Based on the endoscopy I had on Thursday it healed in a few weeks, but I still have some issues with food going down.  MD is not sure why so I have to go to my next appt with food so that I can eat under the flouroscope.
Allison

BugdocMom
on 3/6/12 2:42 pm - CA
I was very nauseated and could only eat a couple of bites of food. Once I tasted something, I developend a very strong aversion to that food. It also felt as if I had a small rodent inside my pouch scratching and chewing to get out...I was prescribed prilosec at first with carafate. Carafate provided instant relief, but I would have breakthrough nausea and pain in between doses. Once I switched to Protonix and carafate, the breakthrough symptoms went away as long as I didn't miss more than one dose in a row and not often.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 469 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 444 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 360 views