Gallbladder or Ulcer?? What next!

AmberLee72
on 3/6/12 5:44 am
So today I went to the surgeon about getting my gallbladder out and even though I have gallstones she seems to think that my symptoms dont really sound like a gallbladder problems since fats dont bother me and nothing brought them on. I have my gallbladder surgery date set for next tuesday but now she wants me to get an endoscopy this Friday because she thinks it might be an ulcer that is giving me pain. I think that this is just another procedure I dont want to go through but she will not remove my gallbladder until she rules out an ulcer. I would much rather it be an ulcer than my gb because I really dont want to have surgery but what I'm not understanding is how my gallbladder isnt an issue even though it is full of stones. I thought if you had stones then you have to get rid of it. The surgeon said alot of ppl have gallstones and they never bother the person. I dont know. I'm so upset and confused and just want to cry. I am now hoping for an ulcer but it probably wont be and then I would have went through the endoscopy for nothing. I cant wait for all this to be figured out and fixed. I'm just so upset.
(deactivated member)
on 3/6/12 5:57 am
Hey Amber,
I can "hear" your frustration in your post! I'm sorry you're feeling cruddy and have no real clear answers.

I had my first gallbladder attack over ten years ago when I was pregnant with my oldest. I suffered through the attack and mentioned it to my OB at my next appointment. He said that it sounded like stones and ordered an ultrasound, sure enough I had a gallbladder full of stones. I was sent to a surgeon who took a look, listened to what I had to say and discussed things with me. He also said that gallstones were sometimes silent, people could have them forever and never know and he told me that I might never have another attack. Obviously, neither he or I were keen on taking my gallbladder out while I was pregnant so we came to the decision that I'd wait and see and probably have it out after I was done being pregnant and breast feeding. Well, I got pregnant with baby number two in rapid succession and kept waiting. I would occasionally have a little pain if I ate anything too fatty but knew what the problem was and for the most part could control things.

Fast foward to last May (pre RNY), I got very sick with the gallbladder, developed pancreatitis and HAD to have it out emergently. Two different surgeons in a totally different practice reiterated what I was told 10 years ago. Sometimes it's just plain dumb bad luck who actually has problems from the stones.

Hope you get some answers and feel better real soon!
avivaps
on 3/6/12 6:01 am
RNY on 02/28/12
Michele's correct Amber.  Many people have gallstones that are discovered incidentally for ultrasounds done for other reasons.  If they have never had attacks they are left alone. 

The other issue is that abdominal pain is not always easy to sort out.  Sometimes people end up having their gallbladder out only to find that wasn't what was causing their pain in the first place.  So I think what your surgeon is proposing sounds reasonable (although understandably frustrating and upsetting).  Rule out the possibility of an ulcer first then move forward from there.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you.  You are doing so well.  Keep your chin up and eyes forward.  Hopefully this is just a blip on the WLS road.

Andrea.
AmberLee72
on 3/6/12 6:20 am
I feel like this is so confusing because I do have gallstones but I dont know if I have ever actually had an attack or if it was pain from something else...like an ulcer. My bloodwork was fine. Liver was normal...my gallbladder wasnt as they said "angry" in any way. It was totally fine besides the stones. So maybe I don't have to have it out. If I can eat high fat foods without any pain does that mean its possibly not my gallbladder? I guess the surgeon isnt convinced that my gallbladder is the issue since I can eat high fat foods and it doesnt bother me. The "attack" that I thought I had was after not eating all day. Food didnt make it happen.
Kaoz789
on 3/6/12 6:48 am
The good news is, if they put you out the straightforward EGD is relatively easy on the 'ole body, that and if it is an ulcer they may be able to take corrective action while they are in there.

I hope you feel better!

cegirl6
on 3/6/12 11:15 am - Westminster, CA
RNY on 03/12/12 with
 I had multiple gall bladder attacks before my gallstones were discovered...One second I was in horrible pain and then boom..it was gone...I went to the hospital several times and was told it was gas..one night a doctor ordered an ultrasound and my stones were found. My pain was almost always in my back and the same foods never affected me twice..so eating the same fatty foods wouldnt always cause an attack....all I know is that I'm glad my gall bladder is gone..that pain sucked!!! lol..but good luck to you and I hope they figure out whats causing your pain...but gall bladder surgery was no problem at all.

Most Active
Recent Topics