HIVES !

carvsh
on 3/10/12 7:37 am - Virginia Beach , VA
Had my surgery on 2/27/12. I'm about two weeks post op. But a week post op, I broke out in HIVES! I went back to the Dr. for my 1 week post op appointment, and he gave me a prescription for liquid atarax. This stuff knocks the itching out SOMEWHAT, but not completely.
So I went to my regular doctor after a few days of taking the liquid Atarax, he gave me a steroid injection. He said it was a two week dose. He said normally he'd put me on prednisone, but due to my new pouch we should not put any pills in there.

Either way - I"M MISERABLE with these  itchy blisters all over. Yes, they've turned into blisters. I am able to get relief from a benedryl, atarax, pepsid coctail.

This relief is for about 3 hours, then for the remaining time until I can take more - I'm using cold packs, cold showers, etc..

ANY HELP would be appreciated - suggestions on how to get these to stop itching :)

Did anyone else get em? If so how long did they last, and what in the world did you do for relief.

thanks!

owlisn
on 3/10/12 8:25 am - NC
 I had a reaction to the skin glue and got them as well.  My MD put me on prednisolone which is a liquid form of predisone (not technically, but close enough.)   It tastes awful, but worked wonders.

Allison

Lady Lithia
on 3/10/12 8:52 am
I had hives, and benedryl didn't help. Steroid pills were the only thing that helped, though my surgeon was reluctant to put me on them since they can suspend healing of the newly created pouch, and that's a total no-no but my hives progressed to my delicate surfaces like gentals, ear canals, and throat and were about to close up my airway so the only choice was to discontinue the pain meds and remove teh steristrips (the two possible culprits).

While I was covered in hives, I had a huge back-sized ice pack on my tummy to keep me from itching my incisions, it helped with "the itchies" more than anything else. When I'd had surgery unlike most people I never had time to mourn food or worry about havnig had surgery, I was too busy itching!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

carvsh
on 3/15/12 10:42 pm - Virginia Beach , VA
I know what you mean about not having time to mourn food. I was/am too busy putting in liquid medicine.. This past three weeks since surgery have just seemed like one  loooong day.

I've taken pictures of my feet and other parts that are covered in these hivelike things...
I was referred to a skin doctor because my surgeon and PCP couldn't get control of them.
The skin doctor said it was not hives. Said it may be Stevens Johnson syndrome... a rare reaction to the sulfa based drugs used in the RNY surgery. They took a biopsy last week - waiting results.

not fun.

thanks for the reply and sharing your experience! :)

Linda-P
on 3/10/12 9:14 am - Farmville, NC
RNY on 01/11/12
I am allergic to  adhesives, latex,etc.  I got some relief from caladyl or calamine lotion.  Maybe that will offer some relief.

Hattie T.
on 3/10/12 12:58 pm - Denver, CO
For two months I have had a scabby rash on my face.  Until today, nothing helped to get rid of the itching or the rash.  Last week I got hives across my back, near my shoulders.  Those look more like large mosquito bites or welts.  I went to the doctor several times.  First I was given a prescription for hydrochortizone cream and I picked up Benedryl over the counter.  Didn't help.  Next I was told to use Cerve cleanser and Cerve moisturizer.  I got the aforementioned big red welts on my back a few hours after using the cleanser on my neck and shoulders. When I went back for THAT issue I was instructed to use a prescription facial cleanser called KETOCONAZOLE 2% SHAMPOO 120ML and an ointment called TACROLIMUS 0.1% 30GRAMS.  Finally, today, there is no itching and the rash on my face is less noticeable.

Good luck,

Hattie
Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190      
carvsh
on 3/15/12 10:47 pm - Virginia Beach , VA
Thank you for sharing your experience and for the response.

I've not got anything on the face yet, but like the other poster - I have them on my ears, have them in my throat and of course unmentionable places. I've been on Short Term Disability from my job since 2/27/12 (my surgery date) and I'm not cleared to go bac****il into april. I really thought I'd be back after 2 weeks.

But I'm definately losing the weight - since I"m mostly putting liquid meds in my pouch..

they put me on Liquid prednisone - EEEWW that is the nastiest tasting stuff in the world. I even had Walgreens put some flavor in it - a bitter reducer.. well I'd hate to see what it tasted like without the flaver added. It's so bad that I get instant goosebumps on my body as soon as it hits my tongue and I have to force myself to swallowit.
Makes my want to spit out my own tongue! BLECK!!

Most Active
Recent Topics