lean pockets???????

gmdelacruz09
on 3/13/12 11:29 am
are they ok to eat almost 8wks out 7g of fat 260 calories and its whole grain,,
help is it ok
wendydettmer
on 3/13/12 11:37 am - Rochester, NY
I'm not sure about 'ok', but personally i would not do it. Not enough protein and way too many carbs. I am personally trying very hard to stay away from overly processed foods like those.

But i think the most important thing to look at is what your surgeon's plan is.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

undergoingchange
on 3/13/12 11:37 am
How much protein are in them.

poet_kelly
on 3/13/12 11:39 am - OH
It really depends on what you mean by OK.

Do you want that many calories in a meal?  How much protein is in it?  How many carbs?  It seems like it might be a lot of breading for someone only eight weeks out.  You might wanna eat mostly the filling and just a bite or two of the breading.  But do they have enough protein to make them a good choice for you at this point?

They probably also have a lot of sodium, so you might want to watch that.

All in all, I'm thinking it might be something to eat once in a while but not real often.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

gmdelacruz09
on 3/13/12 11:43 am
Hi its 10g of protien and ya dont eat the bread just ate the filling which was chesse broccoli and chicken...

Kelly........
ur a vet I really dont know if im doing things right kinda scared that im gonna do it all wrong and fail ive lost 45 pounds so far but im still stressed
Price S.
on 3/13/12 12:23 pm - Mills River, NC
We didn't add grains until 6 months out.  I would use this time to find some healthy, low processed options and stay away from some of the things that sucked us in before.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/13/12 12:28 pm - Baltimore, MD
Like others have said, ok is in the eye of the beholder. But I'd be remiss not to point out a few things:

1. You didn't get 10g of protein from it because some of the protein is surely IN the starch of the pocket (which was likely made with eggs which are protein).

2. When looking at a food to determine if it is a good protein source, it might be helpful to remember the 10:1 rule. For every ten calories, something should have 1 gram of protein to be considered a decent protein source. The Lean Pocket, at 260 calories, then, would need 26g of protein to be a decent source of protein. Otherwise, at 8 weeks, you should probably pas.

3. It's not just the amount of protein but the amount of protein relative to the amount of carbs that is important. It had 10g of protein but how many carbs and how much fiber? I've seen Lean Pockets before and while they are not a bad choice, they have way more carbs than protein and, again, at eight weeks out, you want the scenario to be the other way around.

So in summary, my advice (take it or leave it) is:

-look for foods with 1g protein for every 10 calories
-look for foods with less total carbs than protein
-when foods are higher in carbs, choose foods that are also higher in fiber

At this point you'll probably want to stick to softer forms of protein dense food like cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, maybe a ricotta bake (sort of like lasagna with no meat or noodles).