LEVEL OF IMPORTANCE AFTER PROTEIN

mjones231
on 3/21/12 7:03 am
Although I know that Protein is the most important and a large part of your diet, but in what order would you say that a pre/post bariatric patient should check for the contents..
1. Calories
2. Fat
3. Carbs
4. Sugar (of course I know this is also a no no)
5. Sodium

This may sound confusing but I want to know what I should really stay away from the most.
InkdSpEdTchr
on 3/21/12 7:16 am
Is all of the above an answer? ;)

You basically want to be eating as much whole food as possible. The less processed the better. However, if you are going to eat a processed food, yes, try to find one that has some protein and is low in all those other areas.

Here's what I stick to personally if I'm going to have an unhealthy item:
1. Under 200cal
2. I don't count fat
3. Under 15gm carbs
4. Under 10gm sugar (prefer under 5)
5. Under 250mg

Hope that helps!

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

poet_kelly
on 3/21/12 7:33 am - OH
Well, I'm not saying this is the order of importance for everyone.  But this is the order in which I look at things.

1.  Sugar.  I look at that first because I dump on too much of it and do not want to dump.

2.  Calories.  I look at that next because for the most part I'd prefer to choose things lower in calories.  For instance, if I am choosing between two protein bars that have about the same amounts of protein and sugar, I want the one that has 200 calories instead of the one that has 380 calories.

3.  Fat.  I might look at this sometimes but i mostly just stick to foods I know are relatively low in fat, except for some full fat dairy products.  And those I choose to eat.

4.  I avoid starchy carbs most of the time, so my carbs are mostly coming from stuff like beans and milk and fruits and veggies.  I don't limit those so I don't care much how many carbs is in them.

5.  I don't pay attention to how much sodium is in stuff.  I do not eat a lot of processed foods, which usually are high in sodium, and I don't add salt to most foods I prepare myself.  So my overall sodium intake is pretty low and I don't care if I sometimes eat something high is sodium.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Hattie T.
on 3/21/12 1:25 pm - Denver, CO
I also watch out for sugar alcohol. I don't exceed 5grams of those.
Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190      
happy_baker
on 3/21/12 1:48 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
 I can't answer for anyone else, but this is how I personally check nutrition labels and why.

1. Protein - Because I don't do protein shakes, I have to make sure I get enough from my food.

2. Fat - The only semi-negative reaction I've had to food so far is from fat, so I'm sure to check that next.

4. Sugar - I also take into account that sugars from natural sources (dairy, fruit, etc) aren't the same as added sugars. 

3. Carbs - I don't check for carbs as much as I check for fiber. Once I've checked the sugar and the fiber, the general carb count doesn't matter very much to me. 

5. Sodium - I have low blood pressure, so my only concern with sodium is that it can conflict with potassium absorption, which I don't want. So I check potassium levels, and then sodium. 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views