Not interested in food like before, but haven't had surgery yet

artroxy blue
on 3/21/12 12:47 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I know it's probably a good thing, but I don't seem as interested in food as before. I haven't had surgery yet, but I'm just kinda...sad. I think it's really hitting me that I will be overhauling this aspect of my life.  

The other night, I was showing my husband a new flavor of San Pellegrino's flavored soda (his favorite), and he said he wouldn't be able to try it since I won't be able to have it. I told him he could have it--it's not a big deal. He said he didn't want to drink it in front of me--he said it wouldn't be fair. I know he wants to support me, but I don't want him to feel like he can't have things, you know? 

happy_baker
on 3/21/12 12:59 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
 I went through that.  But my pre-op experience was a little weird. 

My insurance was giving me a serious runaround, so I started assuming my surgery was never going to happen. I started buckling down on my own and tried to lose it by myself. (Again)

So when I got the call that I finally had approval, I was already knee-deep in my new lifestyle, so I just kept going. By then, it was sorta "Meh, I got this."  Food wasn't really tempting me much.

As it approached closer, I got really nervous and scared that I was going to be miserable afterwards. I was afraid of food-mourning, surgical complications, and buyer's remorse. None of that happened. I feel pretty great. My mother and I have dinners together quite often, and every so often she'll eat something I can't, and she'll glance over and ask, "This doesn't bother you, does it?"
It never does.  I'm only a month out, but I have a healthy appetite and feel hungry regularly. But knowing I put my body through all this is a really strong motivator to stay on track, and it's much easier than I anticipated. 

You could always sit down with your husband and openly discuss the fact that your diet is not his diet, and he doesn't need to feel denied his favorite things. But honestly? It's pretty sweet that he's taking those things into consideration. And post-op, if you DO struggle with feelings of deprivation, his thoughtfulness might be invaluable. So you might want to wait and test the post-op waters before you completely give him carte blanche. :)

_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
artroxy blue
on 3/21/12 1:14 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Thanks for sharing! I just feel like I'm in this weird place right now, as I get into my new lifestyle. I talked about this with my nut at my last appointment, and she said its totally normal to go through this. 

I'll talk to my husband soon about everything. I've brought it up several times, but he doesn't want to talk (argh! Men! LOL). He quietly processes everything, so I have to find the right moment.