not taking vitamins/////

gmdelacruz09
on 3/22/12 9:16 am
Ok so here goes ...............IM SCARED...................Im 2 months out not taking vitamins, not sure what I should be eating dont have nut and my doc scheduled my follow up til mid may what do I do...........any help please i eat whatever i can ..... dont eat very much but for example yesterday had claim chowder for lunch and egg noodles w/ chickena and mushrooms today left overs of the egg noddles and mushrooms scared im doing it wrong please some one help me please
poet_kelly
on 3/22/12 9:23 am - OH
Well, you need to start taking some vitamins.  Here's what the ASMBS says you need.  A multi with 100% of the RDA of stuff in it, like Centrum - take two a day.  1500-2000 mg calcium ctirate (not carbonate), some iron and some B12.  So go shopping and buy some tomorrow.

You didn't get any kind of meal plan from your doc?  Try eating about two ounces of food at a time, four to six times a day.  Make sure you get at least 60 grams of protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

happy_baker
on 3/22/12 9:23 am
RNY on 02/15/12
Okay, first, some questions. These are NOT meant to be patronizing, I promise. I'm genuinely curious and I don't think anyone can offer help until we know details.

1) Why aren't you taking you vitamins?

2) Have you tried to find a nutritionist? You can ask your surgeon, PCP, or local hospital for a referral, and get at least a dozen names and numbers. If not, why not?

3) Did your surgeon give you any kind of written material? A diet plan? A post-op guide? This is pretty common practice, so if you don't recall having anything, or if you lost it, ask him. Ask his secretary or nurse practitioner.

If there's any other details, please say so, and I know the wonderful folks here will do their best to help you figure it all out.
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
A. C
on 3/22/12 9:25 am
you should be taking multi 2x a day, calcium 3x a day (1500 total) and iron with c 1x day
also b12 shots or b12 daily

i don't have the exact amounts in front of me but someone will answer that part i'm sure - good luck and call your doc - tell them this stuff - maybe they can get you in sooner (MAKE THEM GET YOU IN SOONER OR GO SEE A NUT if you can)

good luck

HW: 376   SW: 354  

sarasin02
on 3/22/12 9:26 am
I havent had my surgery yet, but I had strict orders about vitamins..I have my surgery wed and my orders are a multivitamin 2 times a day, calcium 3 times a day, and protein drinks in between them, with an acid reducer at night and in am...I was told that that is where the nutrition is mainly coming from and without them I could get extremely sick..I dont know if that helps...I was also told that tuna is a great source of protein :)
kardon
on 3/22/12 9:34 am
Please take care of yourself. We all want you to be well.

ladyhoneybee6
on 3/22/12 9:40 am
RNY on 01/30/12
Please take your vitamin and get your protein in 60 to 75 grams and eat no more than 4 oz at a time take your time and chew your food.iam not a doctor but I would help .call your surgeon office asap
JasminaL5
on 3/22/12 9:51 am - Wurtsboro, NY
RNY on 03/12/12
 Kelly--- I had to switch from the Bariatric advantage chewable multis to Centrum. I could not take the taste or smell of them anymore. I take one a day of the Centrum, you said to take 2... but the box said do not take more than one per day. 
avivaps
on 3/22/12 10:09 am
RNY on 02/28/12
for "regular folks"  (those who don't malabsorb) one a day is the correct dose.  Because of our malabsorption, we need twice the recommended daily allowance to absorb enough.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

poet_kelly
on 3/22/12 10:11 am - OH
That's what the box says.  The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says we need two.  I don't think the directions on the box are aimed at RNY folks.  I'd follow the ASMBS directions, not the Centrum directions.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics