Seasonal Allergies, what are you all taking?

brown_eyed_girl_1981
on 3/24/12 1:37 pm

I've had seasonal allergies since I was a child, as well as a few food allergies (chocolate, white potatoes, spinach and cinnamon). I grew up in Maine where prescribed allegra worked wonderfully for me until I moved to Florida and I found it didn't work as well for me in the south. I then switched to Claratin. Unfortunately since I've had surgery even that doesn't seem to do the trick anymore. I've since moved 3 more times to different states (military moves)

I'm 5 years out. I've tried so many things, for a while the claratin ready tabs (disolve on the tongue) seemed to be helping though nothing has worked well for me since surgery. Benadryl helps with hives but makes me so sleepy. I'm just not sure what to do anymore. Not only do the old allergy meds not work the same on me, but it also seems my allergies have gotten worse.  My eyes are itchy, runny, burning. So much sinus pressure, and lately I just feel drained (high pollen count lately) I break out in hives if I mow the grass and even with a face mask on I still find myself sneezing and coughing so much that I feel I'm going to throw up.

Anyone else find a problem with allergy medications following surgery, if so have you found a solution?  I would like to stick to something non drowsy because I have a 3 year old to keep up with. 

I had complete allergy testing when I was 17 years old, so my pcm doesnt think it's necessary to have it done again.

♥Pam♥
RNY  8/16/06  Starting weight 262 / Current weight 152
ORIGINAL GOAL 160/ NEW GOAL 140   
rbb825
on 3/24/12 2:55 pm - Suffern, NY
FIrst off, having complete allergy testing at 17 years old has nothing to do with what you are allergic to now especially since you have moved so much.   When a person has moved to a new place, you are now exposed to new allergens and you many not have been allergic to it before but after repeated exposure to it, you eventually can become allergic to it.  People that move to a new climate are even at a higher risk for allergies since you were exposed to things you were never exposed to before.

There are many different types of molds, polens, grasses, trees - so if you were  in the north and then you moved to the south,  the allergies are totally different.  Would you ever see a Palm Tree in the  North????

It sounds to me like you need to see an allergist and get a new set of complete allergy testing and get yourself allergy shots.  Allergy pills can only do so much and if your allergies are that bad, you need to get the shots.  You have to be careful because if you let your allergies get too out of control, they can lead to asthma and ultimately bronchits.  They have already affected your sinuses which aren't fun which if bad enough will affect your breathing.

I had allergy shots as a child and they didn't work - I had gotten to the highest dose they could give to a child and they just didnt' work, so I stopped them and went on allergy pills.  then as an adult when my allergies got out of control again as well as my sinuses and asthma were really bad, I went back to allergist to get retested and sure enough, I was allergic to everything - grass, trees, pollens, ragweed, dust mites, dogs, cats.  That is just what they give shots for - I know I am also allergic to feathers and cows hair from when I was a child and can't remember what else plus tons of antibiotics.  Thank goodness - no food allergies - other than Pepper which just upsets my stomach.

So, I started on shots 2 times per week and then progressed to weekly.  Then progressed to 2 times per month, then every 3 weeks and then monthly.  This lasted over a period of probably 10 years and I am now basically allergy free - just  a runny nose.  I had my last allergy shot in Oct 2010.  I can't believe it.  It was a long process but worth it.  I got 5 shots at a time - each shot was a different item - this way if I had a reaction, my allergist could make adjustments in the serum based on the item that I had a problem with.  Not all allergists do it that way -some just give you 2 shots and mix it all together -  I prefer the multiple shots to know exactly what is causing the problems.  I was able to progress faster this way.

I really hope you can get to an allergist and get some shots  - they really work.

As far as an allergy pill  - I was taking Xyzal - it took the place of zyrtec when it went over the counter.  It is tiny and I mean tiny, and it is prescription, so you dont have to pay huge price for over the counter drugs - your insurance can pay for it.  It worked great for me.

brown_eyed_girl_1981
on 3/25/12 6:07 am

My asthma was at it's worst when I was younger, prior to doing the allergy testing. That's when the doctor determined I have asthmatic allergies. Which is what I am worried about when my allergies start to get out of control. Luckily I havent needed to be hospitalized for the asthma part of things since 2003. 

I know in Maine I was allergic to all types of grass that grows there. They found weird things when testing my allergies too like ****roaches (who would have thought lol considering I didn't see my first ****roach until I moved to Florida, they call them palmetto bugs down there), Birch and ash trees but pollen especially does me in every year. 

In Georgia only the pollen seemed to bother me, when things were blooming was when my allergies got worse. I was able to mow the grass there without a problem, although our yard was pretty small too so I'm sure that helped.

I have noticed in the south that the thicker the grass (the blades of grass) the worse reaction I have when it's freshly cut. Someone told me it's called "bermuda grass"

I agree it would probably be very helpful for me to have an updated round of allergy testing. I think I might just have to contact tricare directly with my concerns, but truthfully at this point I've realized I need to change my pcm as well because she just doesn't seem to listen in reguards to anything I've expressed concerns about. Even for my yearly bloodwork I gave her the sheet of things needing tested and she only ordered a few of them. My B 12 was never checked. After I see the nurse, my actual doctor has never given me more than 15 minutes of her time on a visit. The doctor I had in Oklahoma was 10 times better than the one here.

♥Pam♥
rbb825
on 3/25/12 5:31 pm - Suffern, NY
You definitely need to find a PCP for more than one reason.  First off, you should have the right to have the proper medical healthcare and she should have the right to dictate your care and prevent you from getting the care you need.  I understand the process of trying to prevent you from getting unnecessary care but this isnt' uncessary.  Allergic asthma is serious and if the underlying cause isnt' found and treated, the asthma will never be under control and only get out of control -  I know, I lived it. Allergies can also reak havoc on your sinuses, which you dont realize lead to infections and headaches.

You also should be getting bloodwork alot more than once per year.  I am 3 plus years out and still get my labs done every 3 months.  Most dont get them that often this far out, although I feel they need to be because alot can in longer periods of time but waiting a year is crazy.  I know in 3 months, things are always changing for me.  Then when my Endo makes a change in a dose, she will repeat it in about 6 weeks to 2 months to make sure it is working.   the fact that B12 wasnt' checked that is unacceptable - our B12 levels can plummet in a matter of weeks or a couple of months if not taking the proper dose, if you only have them done yearly and then to not have your B12 level which is one of the most key levels, is not acceptable.

how much B12 are you taking daily?  Is it sublingual?  Do you have any symptoms of pins and needles or numbness in your hands, feet, fingers or toes?  This would be a sign of severe B12 deficiency with the beginings of nerve damage.

Please do yourself a favor and find a new PCP - make sure you do some interviewing and explain in the processes that you are a gastric bypass patient and that you suffer from severe malabsorbtion and that you need to have frequent labs.  Ask if they have any experience with other patients. Are they willing to do the labs - you have a list of necessary labs.  and any other concerns you have.  You know the problems you have had - so you know what you dont want to happen again

good luck and feel free to write me anytime

rbb

hlacy
on 3/24/12 3:01 pm - Chandler, AZ
I use Claritin for seasonal allergies as needed, Benadryl every night, and Zyrtec for pet allergies. My PCP says this an especially nasty allergy season and a lot of people are suffering right now as you are. 

Have you tried Allegra again? A lot of people have success with it after taking time off from it.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Susan M.
on 3/25/12 2:21 am - Howell, MI
I euse Algra D, just re-sarted it after clearing it with DR.

Age 56 Height 4' 11" 

Robert P.
on 3/25/12 2:40 am - Pelham, AL
This pollen season has SUCKED!!  I'm basically allergic to everything outdoors, although I've had quite a few good years after a regimen of allergy shots last decade.  It may be time to do that again.  I've been taking the Walgreen's version of Benedryl or Zyrtec liquids.  They both knock me on my butt, but I can at least quit, dripping, sneezing, scratching, etc. for a while.
High 468 / Surgery 433 / Current 243/ Goal 219
brown_eyed_girl_1981
on 4/23/12 3:22 am
Here's an update. I am now taking the over the counter version of Zyrtec. I do have to take it at night before bed so that I dont end up feeling drowsy during the day. My sinus pressure isnt gone but it feels much better. It doesnt seem to dry up my sinuses though,  but instead I seem to be draining more so that has made it easier to blow my nose.

I've come to the conclusion from trying so many things that I wont ever be 100% satisfied with any allergy medicine. But at least this one is helping better than the rest. 

I also figured I better try the zyrtec because I do know I can get a prescription for it from my pcm.
♥Pam♥