Multivitamin Powder???

longhornrose
on 3/25/12 12:53 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Did I make a mistake?  I'm almost out of my regular multi, and went to look at what was available @ GNC.  Found "Women's Ultra Mega Maximum Nutrition" as a dietary supplement.  It's in a powder form, and can be mixed with a protein drink.  I used the search feature, but didn't find anything about the powder formula, only about the chewables.  

Everything in it is 100% of the daily RDA, except for Magnesium, which is only 25%.  The only downside I can see is that the calcium is 1000 mg of calcium carbonate (not citrate).  I guess one of my questions is whether or not there would be a problem in supplementing this multi with the required doses of calcium citrate?

Also, after surgery, would the daily dosage be doubled, so that I'd be getting 200% of the vitamins?  (I know this question was addressed in another thread, but I want to be sure I am understanding this correctly.)

The container I bought has enough for 30 doses (days), and since I doubt I'll have surgery before then, I thought I'd give this a try, since I needed vitamins anyway.  Just thought I'd ask if anyone knew anything about this.

I also picked up a container of AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60.  The standard dose is 3 scoops for 60 mg., but of course, that could be adjusted to get less in one serving.  This is the label info.:

Once per day, consume 3 scoops (79g) of Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60™ in 12 oz. of cold water 30 minutes after your workout. On non-training days, consume 3 scoops first thing in the morning. For extreme results, take twice a day, pre- and post-workout.

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 3 scoop(s)
Servings Per Container 17
Amount Per Serving   % DV
Calories 280.00  
Calories from Fat 10.00  
Total Fat 1.00 g 2%
Saturated Fat 0.50 g 3%
Cholesterol 15.00 mg 5%
Sodium 300.00 mg 13%
Potassium 450.00 mg 13%
Total Carbohydrate 7.00 g 2%
Dietary Fiber 1.00 g 4%
Sugars 2.00 g  
Protein 60.00 g 120%
Calcium 280.00 mg 28%
Micronized Amino Acids: 8.50 g **
Glutamine (as Whey Protein Isolate and Micronized Glutamine)   **
Arginine (as Micronized Arginine and Whey Protein Isolate)   **
Leucine (as Whey Protein Isolate and L-Leucine) 7.70 g **
L-Carnitine (as L-Carnitine L-Tartrate) 500.00 mg **
Amino Acceleration System: 239.00 mg **
Carbogen   **
Aminogen   **
Patented Bioactive Polypeptide enzyme ststem   **
Enzyme Matrix   **
** Daily Value (DV) not established

Other Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey), Cocoa (Processed with Alkali) [Soy], Natural and Artificial Flavor, Polydextrose, Lecithin, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium

Any info is appreciated.

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

Kaoz789
on 3/25/12 1:01 pm
 Most likely you will be taking two a day.

The calcium in the pill will not negate the need for a calcium carbonate supplement. The calcium is absorbed in different areas of your body. 

If you find a pill you like, you can always use a mortar and pestle to cru**** into a protein drink. You may save some $$$ squishing by hand. 

Intresting find though! I'm going to check it out. Thanks.

longhornrose
on 3/25/12 1:29 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Did you mean, ". . . will not negate the need for a calcium carbonate supplement"?  Or calcium citrate?

Kaoz789
on 3/25/12 1:38 pm
 Citrate!

Great catch! Kudos.

poet_kelly
on 3/25/12 1:09 pm - OH
Yes, we need 200% of the RDA so take it twice a day.  It's Ok if a couple things are lower than 100%, so the magnesium shouldn't be a problem.

You would need to supplement with 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate - you won't absorb that carbonate that's in there.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

longhornrose
on 3/25/12 1:34 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Thanks, Kelly. 

I know you're the resident vitamin "guru"  (), but what do you think about the protein powder? 

Beth

poet_kelly
on 3/25/12 1:36 pm - OH
The protein powder is fine, but I would not use three scoops for one shake.  You don't need 60 grams of protein at one time and that makes it pretty high in calories.  So I'd make it with one or maybe two scoops.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sweet-tart2012
on 3/25/12 6:28 pm - TX
RNY on 02/16/12
And if you don't like it, GNC will take it back!!  Win, win!!!  LOL

longhornrose
on 3/25/12 10:43 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Yeah, I know!  That's one of the reasons we went ahead and bought it - I figured that if it wasn't going to work, I could just return it!  

Beth