Dumping MORE often as time goes on?

Wrenegade
on 4/3/12 6:23 am

Hello everyone! I don't post much, but I do lurk! Has anyone else noticed INCREASED dumping the further out from surgery you are? I did not dump so much for the first year or so, but now that I am well over 2 years out (and 140 pounds lighter), I find I am getting more sensitive to carbs all the time! I keep my carb intake quite low (usually under 30 grams/day), avoiding all grains and simple sugars. Could it be because my intestines are absorbing more nutrients now? Any input from the "more senior" RNYer's??

Price S.
on 4/3/12 6:41 am - Mills River, NC
I was about 1.5yrs out when I dumped the first time.  I think I had had the same amount of sugar before but hadn't dumped.  So I have been more careful since then.  I haven't dumped again so I'm not sure but I know I don't want to do it again. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/3/12 7:10 am
yeap. More. Not only that - but the stoma probably is more open (just because) and your body most likely makes more insulin now- and reacts faster to sugar.

Keeping really low carbs for a long time - then getting some carbs - will make a lot of people dump. Even not RNY or post op any WLS
When I limit my carbs - (like yo do now to

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ladytazz
on 4/3/12 7:39 am
I guess I am weird.  Sometimes I can go months without dumping and then I will eat the same thing I have eaten a hundred times and it will make me dump.  Like protein pudding.  I couldn't eat it without dumping so I stopped eating it for a while and recently tried it again and I didn't dump.  No rhyme or reason with me.  I don't really watch my carbs other then to completely avoid refined carbs, sugar and gluten.  But I get a lot of carbs in dairy, beans, and other things.  Sometimes it doesn't bother me and other times it might.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Wrenegade
on 4/3/12 8:13 am
Yeah - I suppose the stoma probably is bigger now - hadn't thought of that! And it is weird how one day a food will be OK for me and the next time, make me dump. Makes life interesting, anyway! Thanks for the input :)