Intestinal pain when drinking - Help

knowbetterdobetter
on 4/5/12 1:26 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
Hello.
I had surgery (RNY) on Monday March 26th. I was doing fine. No pain, nausea, etc. However for the last week whenever I drink any water or anything the consistency of water I can feel it snaking its way through my intestines and it is painful and I start to cramp. Is this normal? I called my surgeons office three times and they just keep telling me to take my pain meds. Which is what I am doing because I cant drink without pain. And yes, I am sipping and it happens no matter what the temperature of the water, crystal lite, protein powder mixed with water etc is. This morning I am having pain on my right side near my rib cage and it is radiating towards my back. I called my surgeons office again this morning and I have an appointment tomorrow. Does anyone know whats up with the intestinal pain when drinking? I started purees this week and I have no pain when I eat my purees. Thanks.
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/5/12 2:42 am
I am 4 years post op .... To this day my body reacts to drinking liquids - if that is the first thing in the morning.   Hot coffee, tea, anything.  Warm green or herbal teas cause the least discomfort.  Then the cramps pass and I can eat. T this day my pouch and insides do not tolerate plain water, or crystal light, And I do need it warm or room temp... Evening is when I can drink cold drinks.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

knowbetterdobetter
on 4/5/12 2:48 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
Thanks for responding. I thought I was gong crazy. I too start with a warm herbal tea in the morning to try to ease my body into accepting liquids. Hopefully it will go away. I dont expect much from the doctor tomorrow but we shall see.
ksbrnmsn
on 4/5/12 4:15 am
RNY on 03/27/12
I wonder if it is gas? I had pretty bad gas pain that showed up in places I didn't think it was possible to have gas pain. But that is wat it is. Ask the MD if you can take Benefiber. That works great for me. I take one scoop in 8 oz of liquid and sip it. Not more gas! Things pass through like they should.
KSB        
lish249
on 4/5/12 4:40 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/12
I had the same issue. I took gax x the chewables...and wow it was gone.

I noticed it a few days ago and i took gas x again and sure enough that's what it was.

I think it's Gas.

Hopefully it goes away because I know how annoying it is to be afraid to drink because of the pain.

knowbetterdobetter
on 4/5/12 5:10 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12

Thanks lish and ksbbrnmsn. I hope its gas also thanks for the benefiber reminder. I am supposed to take it but I totally forgot.

LJ1972
on 4/5/12 12:37 pm - FL
for 3-4 wks liquids bothered me... kind of a crampy pain. I was able to drink Powerade zero, skim milk, water with mio, and broth without issue. Plain water can still cramp me up sometimes.
Most Active
Recent Topics