Bad choices. Today's a new day...

thepromises
on 4/11/12 2:19 am, edited 4/11/12 2:28 am
RNY on 01/03/12 with
Ok. So I made a couple bad choices in the past week.
first- some background:  I am aprox 3 months out from RNY, and the weight loss has been good so far. Not as good as I would particularlly like, but ok. (Down over 50 pounds in 3 months. - Surgery at 350, at an even 300 today.) Anyhow, I've been working out at the gym, on my own and with a trainer.

Now onto my bad choices: I had a fight with my mom, over nothing. It was just a mother/daughter fight over a misunderstanding. And my typical response would be to eat something. to binge. I know that is my response, and so far... I had been doing well with my "issues."  This week not so much. I went to the store, and bought a bag of cheetos. I knew they were the wrong choice when I grabbed them, but I was so angry with her, and I had been craving so long so hard. I didn't even open them that day. But I did eventually have some. And then I "Dumped." you would think that would learn me. No no no, a couple days later, I had some more. 

I know this is my stress reaction, and I know i need a better one. But even since the cheeto issue, I've had some crackers (from our Easter get together). Yes, just a couple- but it needs to be ZERO. I've been doing well since surgery. Practically zero carbs, protein first, etc. But then this past week I feel like a failure. I have recently thrown out all chips/crackers in my house, and only allowed the right things in the house. 

I dont know, I guess this post is just me "coming clean." I feel like a failure. I'm worried that I'm not going to loose any more, and that I'm going to fall back into bad habits. I don't want to allow myself to do that, and I KNOW the right things to do, but my stupid self continues to do the wrong things. 

But today is a new day. Today i've made the correct choices, and i've removed all temptation. I go to the trainer today after work, and I will work out and drop sweat. I know I made the wrong choices, but that's behind me. It's time to look forward. 

sweet-tart2012
on 4/11/12 2:31 am - TX
RNY on 02/16/12
Make some beet chips when you want something like that.  Don't have to soak them if they're canned.  theworldaccordingtoeggface.com    I keep a book or a puzzle book handy and that's what I go to when I have the head cravings.         Anyhow, you're not a failure!!      DON'T say that again!!  You had a bad idea.  Okay, start anew.  Today will be better!       Best wishes        

MikesJulie
on 4/11/12 2:34 am, edited 4/11/12 2:36 am - MA
RNY on 02/07/12
I'd like to start out by saying you are not a failure.  This surgery is THE HARDEST thing most of us will ever do.  It takes so many sacrafices and so much power to do what we have to do.  It is by far not easy.  So what..you fell off the wagon once or twice in how long???  You know what you did and you know you have to correct it.  At least you have that knowledge.  As far as the cheetos..yes they were a bad choice..im not saying the were not..but so you dont eat anymore....send the rest of that bag to me...lol  Just kidding.  Throw them away.   What kind of crackers did you eat???  I eat crackers here and there .. they are on my list of foods i can have.  I eat he reduced fat rits crackers and i dip them in roasted red pepper hummus.  I dont eat alot of them...maybe 3 crackers here and there.

One suggestion when you are stressed is maybe grab a bottle of water and take a walk outside..

You have done a wonderful job ..dont be too down on yourself..that will only lead to you eating something different.  Accept the fact that you made a mistake and move on to what you have to do.

Best wishes to you

Julie
 (HW) 246 (Pre op weight loss) 9lbs (Surgery weight) 237  (1mo) 19lbs
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/11/12 2:48 am
A few "good " crackers here and there - if they are eaten as planned with proteins and fat - may be a good thing.  As long as you can stick to "a few" with proteins.  If not - then you are right - they do not need to be in the house. I have that issue (can't stop) with some foods - i.e bread, or fudgesickles. 
BUt I foudn a few good crackers - and tehy are veriaty and taste to my food. i.e my snack can be: 5 crackers with cheese and some veggies.  That provides some (few) carbs, proteins and fat. 
Since I am "allowed" to have crackers - I don't crave them and then can be in the house. But I do try to eat that in a full protein meal... 
I chose crackers that are made with ful grains, have not much fat, and have some proteins and fiber.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Karen P.
on 4/11/12 3:06 am - CO
RNY on 02/13/12
You are aware you made bad choices. That's the start, now to find ways to support your good choices.

We all have triggers and reach that "I don't care" point. It happens we are human.

I don't think you're a failure and don't put yourself into absolutes. Mistakes happen, we learn from them and move on, hopefully to making better choices.

Best wishes to you

manda2108
on 4/11/12 6:16 am
 Great job keeping yourself honest! You can do this!!! As a few others have shared I'd like to mention a few items I do keep in my pantry for when I need a 'cheat'(if you want to call it that)

**Skinny Cow Products**
I have the peanut butter heavenly crisps, the milk chocolate clusters and the ice cream sandwiches IN STOCK in my kitchen. I only eat 1/2 of a serving and my husband will eat the other half..so this normally will only run me 50-75 calories and keeps all of the other stats below my surgeons guidelines and leaves me feeling like I can do this. 

**BBQ flavored Pop Chips** 
They may not have these in your area but I think the new special K snack chips/crisps are close to the same thing. The serving size on the popchips is 20 chips..I will have 5 chips..its enough to satisfy my craving and they run 30 calories. 

I'm just over 3 months out as well and maybe some people would not agree with my suggestions but they fall under my surgeons guidelines and they aren't things that I eat daily but I feel no guilt when I do eat them. I also make sure to track every bite I put in my mouth via myfitnesspal if you have an account there add me as a friend I'm manda91003 over there!!

KittenLove
on 4/11/12 11:31 am - Around Knoxville, TN
You've moved on. Forgive yourself and learn from it.

If anyone here claims they've never been in the same situation, they Fiblet

I will be honest with u and tell u that more than once in the past month, I've eaten from at least three fast food restaurants during the day multiple times.

In year two, hubby and the friends were watching UFC PPV and I had went to the store to pickup a few things. I stopped at the gas station and hid snack cakes in the zippered section of my purse to get em inside and I went in the bedroom and watched tv and stuffed myself. Dumped. Puked and pooped and went back for more. I can say I haven't done this one again.

Currently in Operation 10 Pounds-- it's been my choices and I'm learning... Still. Owning it is the first step.

Be happy.